Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#231394 by jhonpark Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:49 pm
I got this email from craigslist.

"Good Morning!

Thanks so much for your interest in applying to be a product sampler with us. A little about our company, My Review A Gram has been in business a little over a year and has been growing fast. What do we do? We sample fortune 500 companies products and post helpful reviews for them online. We get a wide array of products that we sample, plus you get to keep them! So here is how our process works, its simple and easy. If selected samplers receive 20-40 products a month, its up to you how many you want. Read through our process and see if you would like to apply with us.

1) We will send you a product for free with tracking right to your home. We're not like those other sampler companies that make you sign up for trials.

2) After receiving the product and letting us know you got it, you'll try it out.

3) The review you will write will be about 80ish words or so.

4) After you submit the review to us for approval we will give you posting instructions.

5) Post your review online

6) Payment to you sent

When it comes to payment, we send funds via paypal so all samplers must have a paypal account if they want paid. We utilize paypal so we don't have to ask for any personal financial information from you. The only information that we will need from you is the address you want the products shipped to and your paypal email to send funds after you post your reviews. We pay $10 per positive posted product. This really is a quick and easy way to make some extra money.

If you're interested in applying and sampling your first products, please email us back and provide us your shipping address you want the products sent to and your paypal email so payment can be sent. Also please provide a contact number so we can call to confirm you're a real person. We will then email you back confirming shipment!!!

Hope to hear from you soon!"

So basically I just need to give my paypal email and shipping address to get started.
Is it fine to give paypal email and shipping address?
Advertisement

#231398 by HillBilly Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:53 pm
jhonpark wrote:So basically I just need to give my paypal email and shipping address to get started.
Is it fine to give paypal email and shipping address?

Giving a stranger that won't even tell you a company name, address, phone #, or anything else is far from a good move.

can you post the email address this scam came from?

#235210 by AngiOle Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 pm
I can. I too received this email after inquiring on Craigslist about the job ad. Email: [email protected].

The reply ends with: If you're interested in applying and sampling your first products, please email us back at [email protected] and confirm that you have a paypal account and provide us the shipping address you want the products sent to. We will then email you back confirming shipment!!! Please also provide a contact number we can reach you at.

I could not find any information about the company and it is clearly just a Google email. I sent a reply back asking for some information about the company. We will see if a reply is given.

If anyone else has heard of this company or job offer I would love to hear from you as well. The job sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about things that are to god to be true...
#235674 by LittleSallyWalker Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 pm
I'm glad I followed my gut instinct and looked this up before sending my address and PayPal email address.

I received a nearly identical email, except it was from 'Review a Star Company'. I responded asking for more information, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here it is:

Good Evening

Thanks so much for your interest in applying to be a product sampler with us. A little about our company, Review A Star has been in business a little over a year and has been growing fast. What do we do? We sample fortune 500 companies products and post helpful reviews for them online. We get a wide array of products that we sample, plus you get to keep them! So here is how our process works, its simple and easy. We start all samplers that apply with 1 product to interview with. If selected, samplers receive 20-40 products a month. Read through our process and see if you would like to apply with us.

1) We will send you a product for free with tracking right to your home. We're not like those other sampler companies that make you sign up for trials. .

2) After receiving the product and letting us know you got it you'll try it out.

3) The review you will write will be about 60ish words.

4) After you submit the review to us for approval we will give you posting instructions.

6) Payment to you sent

When it comes to payment, we send funds via paypal so all samplers must have a paypal account if they want paid. We utilize paypal so we don't have to ask for any personal financial information from you. The only information that we will need from you is the address you want the products shipped to and your paypal email to send funds after you post your reviews. We pay $10 per positive posted review. Most samples will have the ability to post on multiple sites( at least 2) so most products you sample will have at least $20 available to be made or More! It really is a quick and easy way to make some extra money.

If you're interested in applying and sampling your first product, please email us back at [email protected] and provide us your shipping address you want the products sent to and your paypal email. Also please provide a contact number so we can call to confirm you're a real person. We will then email you back confirming shipment!!!

Hope to hear from you soon!
#250952 by katiebeans Wed May 13, 2015 12:45 pm
Hello, hope I'm not stirring too much trouble replying to an old post. Figured my experience might help decipher this a scam or not.

It begins after finding this ad under the writers section of Craigslist:

The ad was (and still is) up under only the writers section, no other job sections. I replied asking for more information. They sent me this (very similar to OP's):

Good Morning my name

Thanks so much for your interest in applying to be a product sampler with us. A little about our company, Review A Star has been in business a little over a year and has been growing fast. What do we do? We sample fortune 500 companies products and post helpful reviews for them online. We get a wide array of products that we sample, plus you get to keep them! So here is how our process works, its simple and easy. We start all samplers that apply with 1 product to interview with. If selected, samplers receive 20-40 products a month. Read through our process and see if you would like to apply with us.

1) We will send you a product for free with tracking right to your home. We're not like those other sampler companies that make you sign up for trials. .

2) After receiving the product and letting us know you got it you'll try it out.

3) The review you will write will be about 60ish words.

6) Payment to you sent

When it comes to payment, we send funds via paypal so all samplers must have a paypal account if they want paid. We utilize paypal so we don't have to ask for any personal financial information from you. The only information that we will need from you is the address you want the products shipped to and your paypal email to send funds after you post your reviews. We pay $10 per positive posted review. Most samples will have the ability to post on multiple sites( at least 2) so most products you sample will have at least $20 available to be made or More! It really is a quick and easy way to make some extra money.

If you're interested in applying and sampling your first product, please email us back at [email protected] and provide us your shipping address you want the products sent to and your paypal email. Also please provide a contact number so we can call to confirm you're a real person. We will then email you back confirming shipment!!!

I was skeptical but Google searches yielded no information good or bad. I replied with the requested information (address, phone number, and paypal email.) They then replied with this:

dear kaitlyn, thanks for your interest in joining our team..i will send out the product today,,u will receive it within a few days..when u receive product, please contact us immediately..thank u very much

THIS is when I reconsider my skepticism. I do a more specific Google search and find this thread. Now I'm worried so I remove my credit card and bank information from my paypal account, not knowing if that information is vulnerable to a scammer who has my paypal email.

That was two days ago. Today I received a package from Trenton. The address is from an apartment, Google maps shows a multi-unit home. Inside is a snore plug product. Not exactly something that can be tested unless you or someone you sleep with snores.

I'm not sure if I should reply with confirmation that I received the product. Frankly I'm afraid to insert it into my nose. Heck, I opened the package wearing latex gloves. If this is a scam I imagine it might take place after I submit my review and my "payment" is sent to my paypal. Not sure what to make of all this. Opinions?
#250954 by AlanJones Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 pm
I don't know what the scam is (possibly they will over pay you by "mistake" and want the overpayment sent back to them, only for you to have the PayPal payment reversed, but that is just a guess)., but I can say without doubt that it is a scam of some sort.

Not only have they changed Gmail address, but the name of the business has changed as well. A legitimate business that is dealing with Fortune 500 companies would not be using a Gmail address for a start and wouldn't be changing it's name every 6 months.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.