Advance fee loan scams and fraudulent loan sites.
#11458 by MOCHA7802 Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:22 am
I've been scammed big time. I applied for a loan online like an idiot and got a call 2 days later from a Tom McNeil at x496. I was told that he could not get me a signature loan but he found me a private lender. I asked this man 9000 questions and even did some extra checking online about the company. It was all legit so I sent the money to Canada. $850 later I checked my account and there was nothing. I called customer service at of course x0 and got the so called customer service manager Michael Driver. He told me that there was some discrepancy in my credit report and i would need to send another $850 to a MS.Linda Mathews. He told me that I have two options, to either send the money or he'll refund my money. I told him that I didn't have another $850 to give any one and I have been given a 3 day notice. I was told that I would have to wait until July 20th to get my money back. I told therm to deposit the money into my account ( they don't have a clue that its a prepaid account, at least I don't think so). I told them if I didn't hear from Mr. Driver within the next hour of me calling I was going to call the BBB and the FTC. I got the call and was still told the same thing. I stayed true to form and contacted every body I thought that could help me. I even called the company who's name was stolen. I still have my paper work that was faxed so if any one has any more info please let me know.
Advertisement

#11467 by Dora Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 am
HI MOCHA and welcome to ScamWarners.

I am so sorry you were scammed. It seems like this type of scam is very common. I believe there are several threads right here at SW of others being similarly scammed.

Do you have more information you could post up regarding this scam? Do they have a website? Did they ever contact you via email? If they did, posting up some of the emails would be very helpful. Please post the headers also. (If you don't know how to get the headers, just ask for help.) You can delete your personal email address before you post.

Doing a quick google search on Kensington Financial Group shows several operating by that name: Clicky

Adding the word 'scam' to it does show there are many complaints: Clicky

The phone number 1-800-375-9614 shows several hits of it being used in scams under other bank names: Clicky

Unfortunately, the chances of you getting any money back are very slim. How did you send this money to Canada? Was it by Western Union?

If they have your personal information like bank account numbers, drivers license, passport, it would be best if you kept a close eye on this. ID theft can be a problem when you have given any of your information to scammers.

Again, I am sorry you were scammed. But I am glad you didn't send money a second time. By posting this information you will help get this information out so others might be luckier.