Scams selling or giving away non-existent animals, often Puppy Scams.
#189568 by AquaFin Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:19 pm
Recently I found an ad on Craiglist listing a 13 month old pug puppy named Hal. I had fell in love at first sight with this dog, and I contacted the owner of the ad immediately. Upon talking with this owner, I discovered she lived across the country from me and I was beginning to doubt that I would be able to get the dog. When the option came up for her to be able to send him to me via airplane, she jumped at the chance, and requested of me to wire transfer her 250$ via Western Union Bank. Of course I wired the money to her, but something was a little off. The person I had wire transferred the money to had a different name of the owner of the dog. I blew it off, because I was excited to get a new puppy. The next day, the woman emails me saying there was a problem at the agency where she dropped off the dog. Since it's been so cold in my area as of late, they needed me to rent a special carrier to be able to send the dog in. Global Animal Transport sent me a shady looking email saying I needed to pay an additional 375$ to rent a crate to send it in. I didn't trust the email, because I had called the phone numbers that were located on the email that was sent to me and there was no answer, it just went straight to voicemail.

I then called the airport that the dog was supposed to be sent out of and they said they had nothing to do with those sort of things and that it was a major red flag. They referred me to the Attorney General. Before I contacted the Attorney General, I looked up Global Animal Transport's website and found it looked nothing alike the email I had received. I contacted the owner of the company and found out that it was a small family business that handled all sorts of things, from shipping zoo and aquarium animals to household pets too. The owner of Global Animal Transport was very nice and told me to post on Scamwarners.com, and that she had received calls of that nature all the time.

It takes awhile to fix an issue such as this, especially if you have given out your private information. Because of this, I am at risk of other scammers, because my information could be sold out to just about anyone. I got my case with the Attorney General, and I notified the Federal Commission Trade of this. To avoid scams such as this, do your research first. Ever since I found out about this scam, the hard way, I've found various websites telling me about this exact same thing. Never wire transfer anyone you do not know. Especially to a place called Cameroon. It is a city in Africa, and usually used in scams such as these. If you have any additional questions about my experience, feel free to ask. I do not mind helping others avoid this troubling predicament.
Advertisement

#189572 by Mike Wilson Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 pm
Hello AquaFin and welcome to Scamwarners,

I am sorry to hear that you are a victim of this scam. Please post an email from the scammer along with the contact information such as email addresses and telephone numbers. These make good search keys for others that may be looking for information on this scam.

If you have other questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#189580 by Mike Wilson Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:20 am

Subject: Fawn male Super Pug Puppy‏
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my ad. I am in dispare due to my family's circumstances, we are having to sell our beloved pug puppy Hal . We've had him since he was 7 weeks old and has grown to us. We ONLY want the BEST for our dog. He is such a quiet and great dog, he listens and is always protective of his family members and property but will listen when needed.

Information:
Our pug puppy is named Hal e, he's 13 weeks old. Hal has had all his yearly shots as well as heartworm. Hal is neutered . he is very bright, loving, a great watch dog but also gentle with children. He loves giving kisses! he is a very quick learner and is very obedient.
Hal knows plenty of commands such as paw, stop, come, down, leave it, off, and plenty more other simple commands.

As for price: I want the BEST for Hal. Price is negotiable but I don't want anything less than $250 as we paid $800 for when he was a baby and much more as we bought puppy lessons and his belongings. Please state the city and your address you live in and tell me why you are looking for a dog when you respond ... Looking for the most perfect fit for this dog.

If you are interested in taking Hal into your loving home. No scammers and fakes please. Serious Honest Buyers Only!

Sincere Greetings.

Laurie Kirkpatrick
(530) 683-6287
Located In
475 Sycamore Drive;
Milpitas , CA 95035

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon