Scams selling or giving away non-existent animals, often Puppy Scams.
#194259 by lbmad Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 pm
I think I have been scammed. I responded to an advertisement about a golden retriever puppy that said it was in Maine. The man who responded said he was in Seattle Wa. as his mother had just died and he needed to find a home for her puppy, the cost was $350.00 which would pay for the transportation of the puppy to our house in Maine. He needed my full name, address, and phone numbers so that he could change the puppy's registration into my name and give the information to the shipping company who would call me with the delivery details and I was to pay them.He also sent me beautiful pictures of this puppy. The "transportation" company called and gave me a website where I was supposed to pay for the shipping and then they would get back to me with the arrival information. I was unable to make the payment on their website ,however they got all of my credit card information. I e-mailed them at customer service and told them their website would not take my credit card, they called back and said their computer was not working properly and sent me another way to pay using a "reload" pay pack . This to was not possible for me to do because of where I live so they said use Western Union and they gave me the information. They also reminded me they had the puppy. Thank goodness Western Union would not send the money. The address was in Cameroon. At this point I realized this could be a scam so I purchased Life Lock ultimate identity theft protection and cancelled the credit card I had tried to use. Is there any thing else I should do? The name of the transportation company was "moving pet transport company"
I have looked on line in the Wa. directory using the phone number for the company they gave me as well as did a reverse search with the address and could not find them.
Thank you for any help or information you can give me.
Advertisement

#194306 by Mike Wilson Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:06 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners lbmad,
Call your credit card company right now and tell them what happened. That website was used to steal you credit card information and they may already be using it for online purchases.
Please post the email address and the website used in this scam and we will have the website reported for fraud.

You are correct, this is a scam and the puppy does not exist and has you have already found out the shipping company does not exist..

The best thing to do now is to stop all communication with these criminals by ignoring all emails and telephone calls from them.

If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon