Room for Rent and other rental scams
#243487 by Michelle Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:57 am
Date: Mar 26, 2015 4:32 PM
Subject: RE: Gorgeous And Fully Furnished One-Bedroom Apartment Available
To: Michelle Banks
Cc:

Thanks for your inquiry about my apartment.congratulation the apartment is available.Beds, Baths, Doorman Yes,Furnished with TV,DVD player,A/C -Heater, FREE high speed wireless internet, iron, Full kitchen Microwave, coffee maker, toaster, flatware, dishwasher, pots/pans, Lovely bed room with bed linens provided , towels, shampoo, soap, etc and also Laundry is in the basement, so you won't have to leave the building at all.. .

The periodic Rate are:

Nightly rate:$60,
Weekly rate:$350,
Monthly rate:$1300.

We offer both long and short term lease.you can extend your stay..

The total For 3 months = $1300 x 3 = $3900

To book this apartment, you will have to pay an up-front payment of 1 month which is $1300 plus a refundable fee of security damage deposit of $200 which altogether is $1500.The balance of the rent will be paid on your arrival date. The security damage deposit will be refunded to you on your departure date when the housekeeper have check the apartment and ensured you didn't damage the property..

But before then you have to fill an agreement and booking form which you must read carefully and follow all the instruction given on the form. do let me know when to send the booking form so we could proceed with the booking and reservation of the apartment and payment.

You will get the full set of keys of the apartment and nobody will be sharing the apartment with you.The apartment sleeps up to 4.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Email: [email protected]

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#247429 by Michelle Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:23 am
On Apr 20, 2015, at 8:24 PM, Buntjer Charles < [email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for your mail, i am so glad to hear from you and i will secure the apartment as soon as you send the $1500 via Money-gram/Western-Union to my accountant now at the head office so we can start with the booking and reservation now and we confirm your booking and send you a lease agreement.I do want you to send the Money to My accountant to the head office ( Tameka Limehouse ) you can view the name and address ( 802 Savannah Hwy, Charleston, SC 29407,USA ) on the agreement and booking form to send the Money to in the agreement and booking form. Please do fill the agreement and booking form and you will also email me the receipt of payment for the Money-gram/Western-Union.

Sender's name and address:
REF#/MTCN#:
Amount sent:

Please do forward me the payment confirmation as soon as you send the money also scan the receipt and send it to me for reference purpose, i will be waiting to hear from you with the agreement and booking form along with the payment confirmation from Money-gram/Western-Union so that i can commence with the booking and reservation. You will need to email me a day before your arrival so that i can wait to meet you face to face and give you the keys of the apartment.

Here is the apartment address: 530 E 76th St New York, NY 10021

Thank you and God bless

#248726 by 695chori Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:19 pm
it seems like i almost got scammed by the same guy.
i was looking for the sublet from the craigslist,came across his ad and responded.

below is the email he sent me.

$1300 / 1br - Luxury And Affordable OneBedroom Apartment Close To Everything & WiFi

Thanks for your inquiry about my apartment.congratulation the apartment is available.Beds, Baths, Doorman Yes,Furnished with TV,DVD player,A/C -Heater, FREE high speed wireless internet, iron, Full kitchen Microwave, coffee maker, toaster, flatware, dishwasher, pots/pans, Lovely bed room with bed linens provided , towels, shampoo, soap, etc and also Laundry is in the basement, so you won't have to leave the building at all.. .

The periodic Rate are:

Nightly rate:$60,
Weekly rate:$350,
Monthly rate:$1300.

We offer both long and short term lease.you can extend your stay..

The total For 12 nights = $60 x 12 = $720

To book this apartment, you will have to pay an up-front payment of 50% which is $360 plus a refundable fee of security damage deposit of $200 which altogether is $560.The balance of the rent will be paid on your arrival date. The security damage deposit will be refunded to you on your departure date when the housekeeper have check the apartment and ensured you didn't damage the property..

But before then you have to fill an agreement and booking form which you must read carefully and follow all the instruction given on the form. do let me know when to send the booking form so we could proceed with the booking and reservation of the apartment and payment.

You will get the full set of keys of the apartment and nobody will be sharing the apartment with you.The apartment sleeps up to 4.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
#248727 by 695chori Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:31 pm
this is another email that i got from the same guy using different email address.

BOOKING RENTAL CONTRACT
Inbox
x

David Frank
AttachmentsApr 26 (4 days ago)

to me
Thanks for your response, see attached for the booking rental contract i will secure the apartment for you as soon as you send the upfront DEPOSIT to my accountant now at the head office. Do visit the nearest western-union agent location/outlet around you and make the payment to the accountant now so we can start with the booking and reservation of the apartment and send you all booking confirmation. Accountant name (Tameka Limehouse) and address (802 Savannah Hwy, Charleston, SC 29407, United States). Do get back to me with the payment confirmation below now:

Sender's Name:
Sender,s Address:
Mtcn #:
Amount sent:

Note : Once the payment is made, do send the payment receipt to me for reference purpose along with the booking rental contract which you must have filled correctly.Once you have provide this then i can commence on your lease agreement and forward you all booking confirmation. Please do follow all instruction given. Once the payment is confirmed, i will forward you all details of your booking confirmation. I will be waiting for you so as to hand over the keys to the apartment personally to you. On your arrival date ,i will arrange a shuttle to pick you.

Hope to hear from you asap so we proceed.

Thanks and God bless.

--
[email protected]

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 09:22:25 -0400
Subject: Re: RE;$1300 / 1br - Great One Bedroom Apartment [Long&Short Term Rental] (Greenwich Village)
To: [email protected]

You can come and view the apartment, but you will have to pay the upfront deposit for me to be sure you are renting the apartment. More over i have a tenant in the apartment and according to our discipline, we are not allow to disturb our tenants. So kindly Let me know how you would like to proceed, I look forward having you in the apartment and to secure your chosen dates, you will have to send the deposit to my accountant and all the details and necessary information you need with my contact is in the booking form..

On your arrival, i will be waiting for you at the apartment so as to hand over the keys to the apartment personally to you.

Let me know when you are ready so i can send you the booking and agreement form to sign and complete..

Best Regards

--
[email protected]