Room for Rent and other rental scams
#244367 by Michelle Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:34 am
On Mar 31, 2015, at 08:04 PM, Jodia Beate <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant.

My name is Jodia Beate and i own this apartment located at 27 William Rd, London NW1 3EY, UK.

It is furnished but if you need it unfurnished, i can order for the furniture be moved to storage. The rent is £600 per month for whole unit inclusive of the below listed utilities:
• High Speed Internet
• Water
• Electricity
• Cable
• Gas
• One parking space

About pets.. there are no problems if you have pets, as long as you clean up after them!

Short or long term lease?! The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 1 month - max 5/6 years. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contract will be signed for.

Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better.
I've moved to Germany with my job and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant.

I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.

When you decide to rent i will create a new account where you must pay the rent weekly or monthly. You can move in the property in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in UK that could show you the property. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.
Obviously we need a way to complete this deal in a safe and fast way for both.
The solution is provided by a company called Rentals LTD which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. A friend of mine moved here from UK and used the company to resolve the same problem. This procedure allow you to pay the rent on Rentals LTD and after you will receive the keys, you will see it and decide if you will stay in the property or not, they will transfer the money to my bank account or they will refund your money (but i am sure that you will rent it) .
If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and I will send you the details step by step.

I am waiting for your reply soon .
Thank you

On Mar 31, 2015, at 09:59 PM, Jodia Beate <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
You have some pictures of it in your attach files .
Before going further with anything I must tell you how this service works and what we need to do.
1 - To start this transaction I will need your info (name,address,phone number and email address).

2 - I will go to the Rentals LTD with the keys, all the property documents and complete all the necessary documents for you as a future tenant.

3 - After all the legal documents will be verified and the rent contract will be made.
Rentals LTD will send you all details:
- a delivery notification (to let you know that they have the keys and the documents in their custody)
- the tracking number (so you can track the transaction)
- the payment instructions (you'll be instructed to send the money for the rent + the deposit to Rentals LTD from Germany )

4 - After you'll make the transfer you will have to send the info about the money deposit to Rentals LTD and after they will receive your payment, will start the delivery of the keys and the contract at your address in 2-4 working days max.

5 - After you'll receive the keys and the contract, you'll have 2 days to decide if you keep the property or not (you can live there 2 days for free, so if you decide to take it you will have to sign the contract, if not you will have to return the contract unsigned to Rentals LTD agent. If the contract is returned signed by you, Rentals LTD will release the money to me. If the contract is unsigned they will return you the money (BUT I'M SURE THAT YOU WILL LOVE THE PROPERTY) and because of this I will pay Rentals LTD fees (about 150 pounds).

So if you have £1200 (the rent for 1 month-£600 and the deposit-£600 ) and if you can pay in 24 hours after the process starts, send me your info (full name, your shipping address, your phone # and a copy of your ID) and the full name of the person(s) that will live with you.

As soon as I receive your info I will start the official procedure, and Rentals LTD will notify you about this matter. You will also receive important guidelines plus instructions from they in order to complete the deal in a safe way for both (please go through them exactly).

PS: I will make the transaction only in this way because this is the second time I tried to rent the apartment, I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent it if I come back... So I got a plane ticket, and guess what!? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore , because he has no money.
It was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their, financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more... maybe you won't show up. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting. No offence!
If you wish to go ahead with it please reply me with your full details requested.
Waiting to hear from you soon
Thank you

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement