Room for Rent and other rental scams
#168744 by Michelle Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am
Date: 12 June 2013 13:52:54 BST
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re: Flat

Thanks for the swift reply Laura. I am willing to make a reservation of my flat for you. But it is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who live close by, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

However, you will need to make a reservation deposit but before that, my solicitor will need some information from you to draft a contract which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Present address:
Confirmed move in date:
Contact number:

Kindly get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed with the reservation deposit.

Regards
Lynn

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#195617 by venom007 Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 am
emily brenard
To Me
22 Mar
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. However, it was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and live in Portishead and i would need to take a day off in order to come down to London and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in London , also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to secure the flat but before that, my lawyer would need some information from you to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Show message history
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

(This is a similar one we got in contact with on 'simple2rent.co.uk') it's not safe at all. Watch out, never give the money over and check the person and place visually first.

From jr
#195619 by venom007 Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:52 am
Lynn Davis
To Me
20 Mar
This message contains blocked images.
Show Images Change this setting
Hello Ezekiel,

•Double Bedroom
•Central Heating
•Permit-free on-street parking

9 Wandsworth Road, Clapham London SW8 3JD

Information:

•Rent £600 pcm
•All Bills Included
•1 Calendar month rent in advance plus £400 security deposit (refundable).
•Tenant Suitability: Mature Students • Professionals.
• Other Rooms: Living Room, Kitchen • Bathroom en-suit.

Features: Shower • Secure Entryphone • Wi-Fi Internet • Living Flame Fire • Electric Goods: LED Flatscreen TV with over 100 channel • VCR/DVD • Wardrobe, chest of drawer, Microwave • Washing Machine • Dish Washer.

Newly renovated flat in (Zone 2) with lots of amenities which include supermarkets (Tesco, Iceland, Sainsbury’s Superstore), restaurants and bars on Clapham High Street, Pure Gym.

Excellent transport – (0-5 minutes walk to Wandsworth Road Overground Station) (1 stop from Clapham Junction); even closer - buses 77, 87, and 452 provide easy access to Waterloo, Aldwych and King’s Road; buses 88, 155 etc from Clapham High Street will take you to Westminster, Oxford Circus, Brixton.

The property comprises of sitting room, well appointed kitchen and double bedroom with fitted wardrobes and modern fitted en-suite bathroom. The apartment is tastefully furnished. This property offers you the optimal value from which to have a truly superb visit to London.

Regards
Lynn Davis

On Thursday, March 20, 2014, <[email protected]> wrote:
Below is an enquiry about your property to let
For: Simple2Rent Property ID:13318 at Wandsworth Road SW8 3JD
From email address: [email protected]
Contact Telephone:07511603338

Additional Info: Hello, i am enquiring about your property on Wandsworth Road, London. Sounds and looks really nice. please contact me on my mobile as I would like to know more. Many thanks

Best Regards

Admin Support

Simple2Rent.co.uk
5 AttachmentsDownload all
photo1.jpgDownload
photo2.jpgDownload
photo3.jpgDownload
photo4.jpgDownload
photo5.jpgDownload
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

(ore rubbish from them)

jr
#244448 by CharlieBear Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:34 pm
http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/northampton/ ... -YI508O390

I have had a very close call with this! If it wasn't for my gut instinct to check this out i probably would have been scammed big time!!
Above is a flat she/he currently has for rent in Northampton UK, it's to good to be true which got me and the broken english emails which match everyone else's on this website!
He/She goes by the name Emily Brenard and has asked for money up front when i mentioned that i would write a cheque on the day she fizzled out and changed the subject back to she needs it before arranging the viewing!!*Alarm Bells* Plus!!... She wouldn't give me the address of the property, the location or just even the post code. Constantly changing the subject back to money!
Disgraceful, it's hard enough trying to get a decent property for a reasonable price with the hassle of agencies let alone the scammers which get a kick out of take advantage!

Fed up.com!!