Room for Rent and other rental scams
#253197 by Michelle Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 am
Date: May 2015
Subject: Re: Amazing 2 bed apartment close to Dalston square, E8 - £150 per week
To: Michelle Banks

Hello,

My name is Jedia Beatel and I just got an e-mail regarding your interest in my apartment .
Why is the price so low? I have just divorced from my husband (after confessed that he had fallen in love with another woman, I decided to divorce), and I had to move to Munich ,Germany. I don't want to sell the apartment because I have a 12 years old daughter who will come to study in England high school and college. So all that I want to do now is to rent the apartment to some nice and responsible persons, who will take good care of the apartment for the next years. I have won the apartment after the sharing of the of marital properties. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I would like to know more details about yourself : How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, if you have a car, occupation etc.. I love pets and they are welcome in the apartment. You should also know that I appreciate the sincerity.
In addition to the rest, here is some information about myself and about the apartment, so we knew a little more.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished, fully equipped, so you won't need anything to move in (you can also bring your own things furniture if you have). It has been recently renovated.
The monthly rent is 600 pounds (for the whole apartment) with utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, one parking space) - INCLUDED. You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of two months.The security deposit is also 600 pounds, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice).
About myself, I am 37 years old, single woman, and as mentioned above I am living in Munich ,Germany.
If you agree and you are decided to rent the apartment i am are ready to make a trip to England and meet you in a city acceptable for both of us. If this is agreeable to you please include your location and where are you originaly from, in your next reply.I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

Sincerely

Date: Thu, 28 May 2015
Subject: Re: Amazing 2 bed apartment close to Dalston square, E8 - £150 per week
To: Michelle Banks

We can meet on 30th May in London at the house .
I am ready to meet you as we agreed and finish the deal, but before all things I must be sure that you will be there and I will not make the journey for nothing... I hope you understand me!
My friend will go to the WesternUnion Office here in Munich and she will make a transfer ON MY NAME with destination London. I will be the beneficiary of 1200 pounds in London, the place of our meeting. I think that the amount is considerable as a proof of coming and that I will be there to meet you! As soon as the transfer is finished I will scan the paper of my transfer and I will send it via e-mail!
The same thing I want from you! A best friend from your country or a relative of yours must go to the WesternUnion Office (MoneyTransfer) there in your town to any WesternUnion Agency and make a transfer of 1200 pounds ON YOUR NAME with destination London. I want to see you the beneficiary of 1200 pounds in London!
This way we both gain confidence, it represents the proof for me that you have the money and you will come there to meet me!
My point is that after I will see this transfer on your name I will be sure that you will be there and we will go together to the WesternUnion in London to take your money back.
Maybe you worry about the transfer tax that your friend will pay... about 40 pounds, but because this is my only condition, I will give you the money-tax back when we will meet.
I told you, I am ready to meet you, but without this proof I will not be able to accept and make this long road to England without any result. I will wait for your decision regarding my only condition in this deal.
I have attached a scanned copy of the photo page of my passport as a form of identification. Please find attachment.

Note: To avoid Western Union fees you will have to declare at the Western Union office that the money will be sent for a relative or friend (the transfer commission will be smaller 3~5%).

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement