Room for Rent and other rental scams
#113339 by Con Warner Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 am
Geoffrey Zinke [email protected]
6:03 AM (9 hours ago)

to me

Hi,

Thanks for emailing me regarding the house is still available, but presently I'm on business trip to West Africa. I bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won, so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up. I came over here with my wife, we both bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the house, so I have to look for an agent and getting one we strike a deal but later my wife advised me on selling the house. I reasoned with her and accepted her advice. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have given the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later and moresome I do not have anyone in the area I can leave the keys behind with so that is why I posted ad myself. If you notice, you will discover that the price we are offering is far below standard price and I this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. The house is available for as long as you want and if you drive by the house you may see a sign there, you have nothing to worry about it belongs to my previous agent so you have absolutely nothing to worry about and you don't have to call them because they do not have access to the house anymore.

Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

Full Name__________________________________________________ Home Phone ( ) ________________________

Date of Birth_________________________________

Other Phone ( ) ___________________

Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________

Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________Phone ( ) ____________________________

Are you married____________________________

How many people will be living in the house____________________________

Do you have a pet____________________________

Do you have a car____________________________

Occupation____________________________

Move In Date____________________________

P.S: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VIEW THE INTERIOR PART OF THE HOUSE BECAUSE I HAVE THE KEYS HERE WITH ME BUT I CAN SEND YOU PICTURES.

House Address
10235 East Clinton Street, Scottsdale AZ 85260

Mr & Mrs Zinke
+234-812-235-8892
011-234-812-235-8892

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#258813 by Jamieg Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:06 pm
This was an ad on craigslist. This person has no way to let you view the house. I asked that question multiple times and they had the excuse that they are missionaries and had to leave suddenly and wouldnt get enough money to sell it so they are renting it. Also they ask how many months rent in advance we could pay up front.....I KNOW this is a scam. They keep saying not to contact a realtor which is another red flag....

FIRST EMAIL
Hello,

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. Myself and Wife just travelled to West Africa for a program called SERVING IN MISSION (SIM), you can view the link for more info: (http://www.sim.org/index.php/content/our-purpose).

We will be away for 2 to 3 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it. However, my initial plan was to sell the house but it was not successful because the Realtor raised the price which made it difficult for me to sell before leaving the States so never mind if you see the for sale sign in front of the house, It has already been taken off the market as for sale so there is no need to contact any Realtor.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?

FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.
AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Fireplace, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Rental Price: $700 per month and security Deposit is $700 (Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent
Pets are Welcome.
Below is the address to the house:
(76 Shackelford Well Rd, Fredericksburg, VA 22406)

Get back to me so i can forward you the rent questionnaire i would want you to fill out.

Regards.
Mr & Mrs Matthew Eagles

SECOND EMAIL
You are welcome, It is good to hear from you . I may not be returning to the house because we plan buying another house upon arrival. You can call or text me on (011-234-812-235-8892 or +234-812-235-8892) Below are some questions I need you to answer so that we can discuss further.

RENT QUESTIONNAIRE

1)Your Full Name______________________________
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number______________________________
3)Marital Status?___________________________________________
4)How many people will be living in the house_________________________
5)Do you have a pet______________________________
6)Do you have a car______________________________
7)Occupation______________________________
8)When will you like to move in?_____________________________
9)How long are you willing to stay in the property________________
10)When are you ready to Move In?________________
11) How many months rent can you pay upfront? Minimum ( 1month +
SECURITY DEPOSIT ) or ( 2 months + SECURITY DEPOSIT ), so which option
do you prefer ??? ________________
12)Earliest possible date of deposit?_____________

Looking forward to hearing back from you with all this details so that i can have them in my file in case of issuing your rent payment receipt to you and for contacting you. Your quick response will be highly appreciated so that we can discuss on how to get the documents and the keys of my property to you via Express Delivery Services. May GOD bless you and your family.

Regards.