Room for Rent and other rental scams
#262079 by bagelhero Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:01 pm
I will be going to school at UMD this fall and I'm looking at rental properties. One of the renters I met sounded a little fishy to me.

Here is some information on the "renter":
I dont know what exactly his position is but he (Cameron) is responsible for the listings and apparently works for http://investmentpropertiesmd.com/index.html. None of the properties around collegepark, maryland are represented on that website but the person i spoke too whether or not he was really cameron said that the properties were being sold by the company. Another thing that was suspicious to me was that they didnt have a application or anything like that at least that i know of. This guys is supposed to fax me the lease apparently but i thought i had to complete an application and credit check first. He also said i could pay the security deposit and first months rent, which is legal in maryland, but i havnt even singed the lease yet or any other paperwork. He is also requesting that i deposit all checks directly into a bank of america bank account. I did get too see the house and the inside of it (the guy who showed the house wasnt the "cameron" guy though but he did have access to the house and all the rooms inside via his keys). Also they dont make any sense about their rent. On their listing they said that the rooms were either 550 or 600 depending on whether or not the room had a private bathroom. Also they required monthly 100 dollars in credit for utilities and 200 dollars quarterly for water. But when i saw the house the guy showing it to me said that it was 650 for a private bathroom room and 600 for a room without a private bathroom and all utilities were included in the rent. (http://www.umd.och101.com/North-America ... -Dr-70150/ heres a link to the listing for the house) The only reason i can think of that the listing isnt on their main website is because they are specifically trying to rent to students so i could be paranoid about that. But does anyone think that this is a scam?
Advertisement