Room for Rent and other rental scams
#254459 by Steven91 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:28 pm
Samantha is back. Posted an add on gumtree got a message from "Samantha" from the number +44 7537 170645 asking for my email address. Showed me pictures of the property from the email [email protected] said the following
"Hello Kim,
Thanks for your reply. However, it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or

reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and live

in Coventry and i would need to take a day off in order to come down to Edinburgh and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, also some do

not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the flat but before that, my solicitor would need some information from

you to draft a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my

flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Samantha

Please watch out for her.
Last edited by Michelle on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Split topic - quotes added
Advertisement

#258239 by Nearlygotme Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:21 pm
Thank God you posted this as just received an email and a text from Samantha, seemed fishy as ad stated flat but stairs in pics. I'm In Brighton so she's (it?) has changed areas. Thanks for the heads up!
#260783 by barrythomson Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:11 am
I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland and was looking for flats in Dundee, Samantha got in contact with me about the property using her email address [email protected]. I first became suspicious because she text me off of the phone number 01618503700 which is Manchester, but gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her my email address. she sent this

"Lovely one bedroom flat to rent in dundee city centre. This flat to rent in Dundee has a modern open plan kitchen living room, smart new bathroom with full suite and power shower for added convenience. Good size double bedroom and ample storage. Situated in a highly desirable area and within easy walking distance of shops, transport links, restaurants etc. It is located on West Lyon Street, Dundee DD4 6QP

Rent: £350pcm
Refundable security deposit: £250

Including bills (gas, electricity, water and council tax, + free wifi) and there are no hidden fees!

Regards,

Samantha"

5 pictures also, the flat looked perfect, just too good to be true, so i checked her phone number and email address and came across this...
#262099 by steveos Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:57 pm
Guys, she is back...just almost gone done.....

Wokingham.....3 bed house 46 easthampstead road...

usual wording as above...

I was wary as I am a security and fraud man....clues

1. you cant view the property
2. wording of email as to why she cant be there...
3. says re solicitor..yet sends you a AST right off
4. bank sort code....google it
5. email yaris5289....and bingo..you find this site...

I asked to speak to her by phone.....she even uses a linked in profile....Samantha Hughes -Manchester.

scumbags praying on innocent people....so sick

I hope others dont fall for, but alas they will.
#263131 by Michelle Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 am
On 8 Aug 2015, at 21:27, Samantha Hughes <[email protected]> wrote:

Bruntsfield - exceptionally popular and central area within walking
distance of the city centre, Meadows and Edinburgh University, schools
near by Fantastic local amenities are on hand.

Spacious livingroom with bay window with stripped and varnished wooden
flooring; 2 good sized double bedrooms available; large kitchen/dinner
and separate utility area; bathroom with shower over bath, good sized
internal study,with cabin bed above

Gas central heating, spacious, well-presented accommodation, fresh
decor,zoned parking.

Rent: £400pcm
Refundable security deposit: £400

Including bills (gas, electric, water and council tax, + wifi)
and there are no hidden fees!

Regards,

Samantha

Hello Michelle
Thanks for your reply, you will be sharing the property with a neat, sociable and polite 25 year old female professional but she is away to Spain due to work commitments. However, it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and live in Coventry and i would need to take a day off in order to come down to Edinburgh and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the room but before that, my solicitor would need some information from you to draft a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

Regards,

Samantha

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

#268249 by besa Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:56 am
I'm from London, looking for flats in London, Samantha got in contact with me about the property using her email address [email protected]. I first became suspicious because she text me off of the phone number 01618503700 which is Manchester, but gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her my email address. she sent this
Lovely double bedroom in a two bedroom flat ideally situated between King's Cross and Euston stations the
property is ideal for professionals working in the City or Central London or a ucl student or couple. It is located
on Oakshott Court, Polygon Road, Camden Town, London NW1 1ST
rent ­ £700
refundable security deposit ­ £700
Including bills (gas, electric, water and council tax, + wifi) and there are no hidden fees!
Regards,
Samantha
5 pictures also, the flat looked perfect, just too good to be true, so i checked her phone number and email address and came across this.
But she send me ownership documents and picture of her passport and being in state of mind as I am at the moment(my finance throwing him out without a notice- found another woman) I proceeded on paying her £550 on 15th september.