Room for Rent and other rental scams
#260493 by Michelle Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:40 am
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎July‎ ‎16‎, ‎2015 ‎2‎:‎14‎ ‎PM
To: Michelle Banks

Thanks for getting back to me. The other one bedroom flat for your friend is locate in the same building and here is the pics attach to the message. The flat is located in a safe area and very close to the university as it is located at University St, Camden WC1E 6JP, London UK. The flat is a One bedroom flat not share as it is a flat with a private entrance separate. I wouldn't want you to get me wrong and am not asking you to pay before the viewing, the idea of making a confirmation of your financial ability is not only my idea, my lawyer and i decided to use that process and i can't violate my lawyer procedure. I am a God fearing woman and i am not after your money. I have my own work and i earn enough money for my family and also to help the less privileged.

However, i didn't want to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat. All what i request of you is to transfer the deposit using any of our family members name as a senders name and your own name as a receivers name to an address in London through the nearest Money Gram Post Office around you, once you've done that, you get back to me with a scan copy of the transfer receipt so that i can forward it to my lawyer to confirm if the transfer is valid.

After the confirmation might have been made by my lawyer, I 'll send you an email so that you can know that your stay is now been finalise and i will also forward you the tenancy agreement which you 'll sign and bring along when coming for the viewing and when you arrive to London i 'll personal drive you to the nearest Money Gram Post Office to go and pick up the funds and you can as well pay for the rent and also note that i 'll be responsible for the cost of the transfer when we meet for the viewing.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Kelvin

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#266066 by kayla16 Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 am
Hi,

I'm sorry if here is not the correct place to send the reply but I just registered today and I would like to know if I should do something to prevent any danger coming from that person.
I received a scam about this person and I'm a bit worried because I used my personal email. And "she" probably will contact me soon again. I know it's better that I don't contact her anymore but appart of that. What should I do?

Thanks people.