Room for Rent and other rental scams
#235883 by anthoncg Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 pm
Yet again this same message was distributed! This time, it's in Glendora, CA for a 2bdrm condo for $1200/mo

While looking for new places this "too-good-to-be-true" listing came up on Craigslist.

Reply-To: Day_Katie <[email protected]>

Hello,

I hope things are good. The apartment you want is still available. We thought we had the place leased to a couple that we gave a tour to today, but now it seems that they're no longer moving out of their current home, so we need to lease to keep searching for a tenant. You were the second one to email me about it.

I bet you want the exact address of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a standard precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and ripped up. We don't want that to happen again! We setup a walk through after you have recieved your credit report. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you want us to schedule you for a tour, then please visit the link below and get your report. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and haven't had any problems. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We are not concerned with any negative scores, it's more of a formality to have it on file with our property insurance. Quickly get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 570+.

Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a walk through of the place.

Thank you,
Katie Day

It looked a little suspect, so upon further investigation, I found all these similar stories.

Thanks for the heads up!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Split
Advertisement

#235891 by Talbright Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 pm
I clicked on the link and proceeded to enter my info to obtain my credit report, but now I'm nervous it was some type of phishing software. Do you have and insight on this?
#235892 by Bryon Williams Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 pm
Contact your Credit Card issuer and inform them of this. You can contact the Credit Bureaus and put a fraud alert on your account.

You can run Malwarebytes (Free edition) on your computer. Then run your Anti Virus software.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#236577 by apartmentseekerNYC Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Apartment in Brooklyn - same deal

Hello Paul,

I hope you are having a great day. The apartment is here still to rent. We thought we had the place leased to a couple that we gave a personal tour to, but now it seems that they're not moving, so we need to rent to keep searching for a tenant. You were the 2nd one to respond regarding it.

I know you want the address of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without being diligent, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! We setup a tour after you have recieved your credit report. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you want to come tour the place, then please visit the link below and grab your credit report. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and haven't had any problems. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We are not concerned with any negative scores, it's more of a formality to have it on file with our property insurance. You can get your report by just CLICKING HERE

Do not send me the report over email, bring it to the tour. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 560+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a walk through of the place.

See you soon,
Emily Hart
#266514 by form5050 Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:31 am
Got this email in Florida... Of course, a simple Google search and I knew it was a scam..

Hi,

Great to speak with you. The unit is here still to rent. We thought we had the unit leased to someone we gave a walk through to, but now it seems that they're no longer changing residence, so we need to keep searching. You were the second one to contact me.

I know you want the exact location of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without being diligent, it was broken into and ripped up. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your updated credit report before we setup a tour.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you want us to schedule you for a tour, then please visit the link below and get your report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality even if you don't have rental history. You can get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 530+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a showing of the place.

Thanks,
Erica Bell
#266515 by form5050 Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:33 am
form5050 wrote:Got this email in Florida... Of course, a simple Google search and I knew it was a scam..

Hi,

Great to speak with you. The unit is here still to rent. We thought we had the unit leased to someone we gave a walk through to, but now it seems that they're no longer changing residence, so we need to keep searching. You were the second one to contact me.

I know you want the exact location of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without being diligent, it was broken into and ripped up. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your updated credit report before we setup a tour.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you want us to schedule you for a tour, then please visit the link below and get your report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality even if you don't have rental history. You can get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 530+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a showing of the place.

Thanks,
Erica Bell

Also, I sent an original inquiry on an apartment to [email protected] and the response came back from [email protected].