Room for Rent and other rental scams
#270415 by Amelia50 Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:37 pm
I sent 2 emails to your email address before I realized I could reply on here. Anyway I believe the person I am dealing with or rather was is the same person in your post only the he has changed his email address to [email protected]. here are the emails I recieved from him concerning a house for rent in Daytona Beach Fl. advertised on Craigslist. Luckily I knew immediately when he wanted me to wire him money thru western union something was not right, so I started investigating and wow when I saw your post I knew my gut instinct was right on the money!! Only thing I'm concerned with is he has my information as I filled out the application. It was when I received the second email on how to make the payment I realized something wasn't right. He is also texting me on my phone. The emails I received are as follows: Email #1
God Love
9:51 AM (7 hours ago)

to me
Hello,

Good to hear from you, This is Reverend Daniel Coker I am the owner of the accommodation you are making inquiry of, I used to stay in the house we have just move down to WEST AFRICA[Nigeria] due to my Transfer to WEST AFRICA with my Entire Family as a Missionary Worker as a very Good christian i am currently in West Africa (Nigeria) and I am busy most times so please forgive me if I don't respond to your emails immediately. The place can be available for as long as you wish to rent and all utilities are included, the building is in a great location situated in a quiet and secure area and offers internet, cable, laundry in-suite,storage facilities, heat,water, electric and parking are all included in the rent fee and I don't mind pets as long as they are well trained.

I want you to note that I am a straightforward and easy going person so we would have no problems whatsoever if you can take care of the place cause I spent a lot on my property so I am asking for your absolute maintenance of it if you are to rent, if you think you are unable to keep my home in a good condition then please do not respond, sorry if that sounds to blunt but I had a tenant who was a terrible mess and I wont want a repeat of that hope you understand.
I want a tenant I can trust with the place so I would like you to tell me more about yourself. I am personally handling the rental in other to be able to decide who best suits me to rent the place too I have tried to use an agency but they are given favors to there top clients and I've not been ok with any of them, I just need a normal and responsible person that we can have a mutual understanding on things. I hope you can relate to all I'm saying and you can hopefully be the right person to rent the place to.

Address : 112 Frazar Rd, Daytona Beach, FL

RENT FEE: $600 per month (inclusive of bills), Security Deposit $600(Refundable)

I want you to provide answers to the application below:

*******FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM******
( Private and Confidential )

FIRST NAME:________________
MIDDLE NAME: ________________
LAST NAME: _________________
PROFESSION: ________________
(CELL)PHONE () _____________________
(Other)PHONE () __________
Best time to text _______
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY _______
PRESENT ADDRESS: ____________________
CITY: ______________
STATE: _____________
ZIP CODE: _______________ HOW LONG? ____________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
IF THIS Home IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?______________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
HOW MANY MONTHS RENT CAN YOU PAY UPFRONT? MINIMUM ( 1month +
SECURITY DEPOSIT ) or ( 2 months + SECURITY DEPOSIT ), so which option
MONTHLY INCOME:
IF YOU HAVE A PET:
NAME OF PET: _____________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE? ___________
DO YOU DRINK? ______________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?____

IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITION PLEASE READ:
~The lease is 1-6 months or 1 year and can be renewed

~It can be rented furnished or unfurnished which ever suits you

~ You will have to take good care of my home,if the place is being misused I will have to terminate the contract and refund any rent paid

~Utilities are included in the rent

~Pets are Allowed if well behaved

~The rent fee has to be paid before your move in and subsequent rent fees must be paid on time

Please feel free to ask any questions you do not understand and I will be looking forward to receiving your email as soon as possible I have a lot of interested people so I will advise you be fast in order not to lose out to others.
You can text me on (760) 523-8959

Best Regards
Daniel Coker
Email # 2
Expand all Print all In new window
House for rent
Inbox
x

AMELIA
*******FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM****** ( Private and Confidential ) FIRS...

God Love
2:42 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Hi,

As we review your details, we will be hoping to give you the apartment in good faith. We are willing to accept and approve your rent application has our new tenant.I want you to know that you will be paying for security deposit that is fully refundable at the end of tenancy so that I can proceed in writing the receipts and sign all the necessary papers. The deposit is refundable if by any means you want it back and decide not to rent the place. I will be heading to UPS Office to arrange for the shipment of a package to you next day delivery.

The contents of the package are;
-- Bunch of Keys to the property.
-- Lease agreement
-- Documents containing property location and description.
-- Tenancy agreement and policy.
-- Receipts. ( Once the payment is confirm).

Please do get back to me, so i will give you the information that you will be sending the money Via money gram or Western union at any walmart store.

Best Regards

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 11:25:06 -0400
Subject: House for rent
To: [email protected]

As you can see the resemblance between hooddyhugs10101 and Godlovesme1403 both outlook.com accounts are just too much to deny it is the same person. Thank you for your time and if there is anything I can do to help stop this man other than reporting him to craigslist please advise. Amelia
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
Advertisement

#279259 by Demi645 Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:30 pm
I Live in Denver and I also got this scam message, I m posting it here with his updated email to confirm that this IS too good to be true.

Hello,

Good to hear from you, This is Reverend Daniel Coker I am the owner of the accommodation you are making inquiry of, I used to stay in the house we have just move down to WEST AFRICA[Nigeria] due to my Transfer to WEST AFRICA with my Entire Family as a Missionary Worker as a very Good christian i am currently in West Africa (Nigeria) and I am busy most times so please forgive me if I don't respond to your emails immediately. The place can be available for as long as you wish to rent and all utilities are included, the building is in a great location situated in a quiet and secure area and offers internet, cable, laundry in-suite,storage facilities, heat,water, electric and parking are all included in the rent fee and I don't mind pets as long as they are well trained.

I want you to note that I am a straightforward and easy going person so we would have no problems whatsoever if you can take care of the place cause I spent a lot on my property so I am asking for your absolute maintenance of it if you are to rent, if you think you are unable to keep my home in a good condition then please do not respond, sorry if that sounds to blunt but I had a tenant who was a terrible mess and I wont want a repeat of that hope you understand.
I want a tenant I can trust with the place so I would like you to tell me more about yourself. I am personally handling the rental in other to be able to decide who best suits me to rent the place too I have tried to use an agency but they are given favors to there top clients and I've not been ok with any of them, I just need a normal and responsible person that we can have a mutual understanding on things. I hope you can relate to all I'm saying and you can hopefully be the right person to rent the place to.

Address : 5050 W Virginia Ave, Denver, CO

RENT FEE: $700 per month (inclusive of bills), Security Deposit $600(Refundable)

I want you to provide answers to the application below:

*******FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM******
( Private and Confidential )
Full name of Tenant:
Phone Number (text or call):
Best time to text:
Smoke:
Pets:
Present Occupation:
Marital Status:
Present Address:
How long at this address:
Rent or own:
Reason for moving:
How many people will be moving with you:
How long are you planning on staying:
Move in Date:
How soon can you make the security deposit and the first month:

IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITION PLEASE READ:
~The lease is 1-6 months or 1 year and can be renewed

~It can be rented furnished or unfurnished which ever suits you

~ You will have to take good care of my home,if the place is being misused I will have to terminate the contract and refund any rent paid

~Utilities are included in the rent

~Pets are Allowed if well behaved

~The rent fee has to be paid before your move in and subsequent rent fees must be paid on time

Please feel free to ask any questions you do not understand and I will be looking forward to receiving your email as soon as possible I have a lot of interested people so I will advise you be fast in order not to lose out to others.
You can text me on (760) 523-8959

Best Regards
Daniel Coker

As you can see his new email address is... [email protected] and his new name is... hdju Amen, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THIS SCAMMER ANY MONEY!