Room for Rent and other rental scams
#284498 by Michelle Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:40 am
Elizabeth Heren <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi there,

My name is Elizabeth Heren, I'm 45 years old and I am working as a project manager for ADCO Construction. I am glad that you are interested to rent my apartment. I lived in this apartment until October 2015, when my company started a new project in Ireland and I had to move here for at least 4 years, so the apartment is available for long-term. The flat is very nice and clean, recently refurbished by me to a very high standard of interior design. The flat is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances.​ The rent will be $355 per week with all utilities included (hot/cold water, electricity, internet, cable TV). A security deposit (bond) of $1420 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). The money, I want to receive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place.

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living at the property?
· When would you like to move in?
· What term/length lease would you like?
· Do you have any pets?
· When are your most suitable times/days to view the property?

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Heren <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for responding so quick with all of that information, it all sounds great.
I'm trying to find someone who will take care of the apartment as his own and you seem to be the right person. The only thing, is that I'm currently in Ireland and for the moment I cannot come to Australia to show you the apartment. However, I hope this will not change your intentions to rent my apartment because we can still reach an agreement. We can do this transaction through Airbnb. In this way, you will receive the keys in less than 48 hours to inspect the apartment. They've already got a set of keys so here's what you have to do if you are ready to rent the apartment.

To reserve the apartment you need to send me your personal details (name, address, phone number) and a copy of your ID or passport to prepare all necessary papers for you to become a future tenant. Once I get your details, I will contact Airbnb with them to start the transaction. They will send you an invoice and further information regarding the rental, along with payment instructions to secure the booking.The deposit consists of first month's rent and the security deposit (bond) and is just to reserve the apartment and not a commitment. After you pay the deposit, the inspection time will be settled (you just tell them on which date you're available) and within 2 days, the agent will come to show you the apartment and help you with all the formalities so you can live in the apartment.
If you will be satisfied with the apartment, you can move there in the same day. All you have to do is to sign the rental contract and Airbnb will release the payment to me. Also, if by any reason you would like to cancel the transaction or you don't like the apartment, the agent will refund all your money and bring the keys back to me. I'm quite confident you will like the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel, and get your deposit back from the agent, immediately. Also, in case you're tied up in another contract and cannot move in immediately, we can arrange the viewing now, and reserve the apartment for you.
I would appreciate a quick response, because there are several others interested in the apartment, and I need to know if I can count on a deal with you.

Thank you,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#284561 by Peachyiu Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:42 am
I have received this email today as well! I first saw a rental post on realestate.com on the apartment 181 Abeckett Street and applied for an inspection. However, my request was apparently not handled through any real estate agent but this 'women' instead! I found it so sketchy therefore i made a vague reply to see what she wants. And she request for a payment before inspection! I am so sure that she is a scam. The post on realestate.com was removed as well. Definitely dont trust this email !
#296671 by Carly Layton Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 pm
Peachyiu wrote:I have received this email today as well! I first saw a rental post on realestate.com on the apartment 181 Abeckett Street and applied for an inspection. However, my request was apparently not handled through any real estate agent but this 'women' instead! I found it so sketchy therefore i made a vague reply to see what she wants. And she request for a payment before inspection! I am so sure that she is a scam. The post on realestate.com was removed as well. Definitely dont trust this email !

I emailed the exact same person regarding that listing! I thought it was too good to be true, and that it was weird that the email was on the listing as [email protected]
So I googled rentflatau, and a bunch of real-estate.com listings showed up, all of which have been taken down! Then she replied about sending through a deposit before inspecting! PFF, how dumb do they think people are? It's sad some people might actually fall for it?
(I forwarded the emails to the help address)
#301061 by keira_l Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:59 am
I am dealing with the same person. I replied to their initial e-mail with some sweet message. Now I'm planning to send them to the other side of town to try to receive my bank transfer
#301064 by Tim Atem Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 am
If they have your real life information, you need to stop communicating with them immediately. It is not safe. The best thing you can do is report their information here to help warn others.

Please post the emails and contact information with your own personal information removed.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5