Room for Rent and other rental scams
#293706 by Michelle Wed May 04, 2016 3:46 am
Sdsf Jhy <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the email. Yes, the House is still available and will only be given out to the right person that will take very good care of the place and the facilities.Well i must let you know that the house has a lot of facilities like laundry facilities,air condition,internet and telephone access and car garage and other necessary facilities.I have really decided to give out the house as a result of my transfer to Florida my new place of employment.

I will be renting out the house for $1510 (Including Utilities) water,gas,electricity and garbage and a security deposit of $1350 (refundable) $100 for each pet as pet deposit (negotiable) and I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it,let me know as soon as possible if you can take good care of it, so that we can discuss the rent further.

House Address: 16304 Ardath Ave,Torrance, CA 90504

Bedrooms 3
Bathrooms 2
Sq. footage: 1510

Utilities Included in the rent are water ,Gas and electricity
Pets allowed are DOGS and CATS
Drive by Immediately and see it !!!

Thanks and
God bless you amen.

Chris S Tanimura

Subject: “Congratulations" We are happy to take you as our new tenant.

Hello Michelle

At this point we will like to say “Congratulations" We are happy to take you as our new tenant. We are satisfied with your Application and also believe l can put my trust in you in terms of taking good care of the house. Also i want you to tell me how related you are to your references....As you know the house is worth a whole lot more than what i am renting it out for and i just hope that you can take good care of the house while i am away.. We can also let you stay in the House till the period of time you wish to.We will Schedule a good time ,maybe when we are less busy to pay you a visit after you have moved in, to see how the maintenance is.However if you are ready to rent the house now then that will not be a problem but i will advice you to provide the payment for the refundable security deposit of 1350$ now so i can hold the house for you pending when you are ready to move in, as soon as the payment is been confirmed,i will send the keys and document of the house to you via FEDEX or DHL next day delivery service to your current home address (4121 Marcasel Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90066),So you can have access to view the interior of the house asap.Meanwhile the package will be addressed to Jeff White

I wish you best of luck in your Job, from what i saw in your application ,you must be a very responsible and hard working person, may the almighty Lord guide and protect you in whatever you do. AMEN!

Here are the contents in the package that will be sent to you through FedEx or DHL

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys.
2) Paper/Permanent House form (Containing your reference details)..
3) The House documented file.
4) Payment Receipt.
5) Signed Lease Agreement Form (sign on both copies and send one back to me)

I had two tenants who were ready to make 3 months Upfront Payment, But i rejected the offers, because they party alot and smoke in doors ,that was the info i got from their current landlord. So please promise me you are going to take good care of my house. Kindly get back to me today so I will give you instructions on how to make the payment. Please note that the deposit is fully refundable you will love everything about this lovely home.
I await your reply ASAP.

Chris
(562) 395-3704

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#297859 by notaboutme Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to post about this. I did a google search on the phone number and found this post. Something just didnt seem right and when we drove by per his suggestion "before we proceed" we saw that the property was for sale when we contacted him he said that because of a transfer and the fact the house was'nt selling he and his wife have decided to rent it out "but really want someone in there that would take care of it" and we needed to fill out an application in order to proceed to the next step.
The scammers first reply when we inquired about the property was pretty much the same letter you posted but signed by a Matthew Freidenrich with the same phone number with God Bless and Amen.
I told him we were not comfortable giving out personel information without seeing the place and meeting him and that the whole thing had all the trademarks of a scam.
His reply was as follows:
"Like I told you on (yes, scammer said ON not In) my first email that I have been transfer (yes, transfer) to my new place of work here in Tulare, CA but if you are not comfortable renting my house please let me know. Thank you"

I should add that I have been trying to help my daughter find a place to rent. Ironically she had also inquired about the same place and was getting the same emails. Word for word ,the exact same emails. The email address is [email protected] and the phone number is (562) 395-3704 same as the phone number you referred to.
Thanks again for taking the time.