Room for Rent and other rental scams
#295113 by Bryon Williams Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm
Jose Manuel Morata < [email protected] > wrote:

Hello xxxxxx

I am Jose Manuel Morata, the owner of the flat, and i'm happy to let you know that my apartment is presently available even for long and short term periods. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in US, but now she's back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).

The flat is exactly like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,200 per month plus one month deposit of $1,200 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Malaga/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.

All the best from Spain,
Jose Morata

Subject: Re: 104 Queensberry St, Boston, MA 02215

Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Malaga/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. For me this won't be a problem, as i can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, (i'll pay some extra fees for this type of service), which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.

I hope you are familiar with Airbnb, but if not i'll explain you how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract for 6 months from July 1st until Dec 31st. I do have a contract with a property management company to take care of the flat.

Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,200 + $1,200 = $2,400 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and in case of any reason you will not be satisfied with the apartment (but i don't think so), next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account.

This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...

Let me know,
Jose Morata

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#295302 by Bryon Williams Tue May 17, 2016 3:50 pm
Subject: 1615 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19102

Hello xxxxxxx,

I am Jose Manuel Morata, the owner of the flat, and i'm happy to let you know that my apartment is presently available even for long and short term periods. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in US, but now she's back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).

The flat is exactly like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,300 per month plus one month deposit of $1,300 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Malaga/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.

All the best from Spain,
Jose Morata

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#296141 by Bryon Williams Wed May 25, 2016 2:22 pm
Subject: 4773 Mission Blvd , San Diego, CA 92109

Hello xxxxxxxxxxxx,

The flat is exactly like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,100 per month plus one month deposit of $1,100 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Malaga/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

All the best from Spain,
Jose Morata

#296304 by MissElliot Fri May 27, 2016 1:12 am
http://www.apartments.com/10-brook-st-y ... y/k1z5yc9/

I contacted this scammer based on the above mentioned apartment listing. I was fortunate enough to find out the truth through a google search before any money was exchanged. As soon as I contacted him, he replied me with this email the very next day.

Date: Thu, May 26, 2016 at 4:29 AM
Subject: 10 Brook St, Yonkers, NY 10701
To: [email protected]

Hello xxxxxxx,

The flat is exactly like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,100 per month plus one month deposit of $1,100 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Malaga/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

All the best from Spain,
Jose Morata

P.S. Be Careful with online apartment listings. By God's grace I was saved from making a mistake and hopefully this post will make aware other unsuspecting personals the truth before its too late.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Fri May 27, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#296395 by Bryon Williams Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 pm
Received: by 10.55.130.193 with SMTP id e184csp280416qkd;
Fri, 27 May 2016 11:23:04 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.98.96.130 with SMTP id u124mr24144869pfb.28.1464373384463;
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from erelay5.ox.registrar-servers.com (erelay5.ox.registrar-servers.com. [192.64.117.65])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id a3si15870628pfb.217.2016.05.27.11.23.04
for <xxxxxx>
(version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 192.64.117.65 as permitted sender) client-ip=192.64.117.65;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 192.64.117.65 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from localhost (unknown [127.0.0.1])
by erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A90052206EEF
for <xxxxx>; Fri, 27 May 2016 18:23:03 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (erelay.ox.registrar-servers.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
with LMTP id JdtjOXgDLheL for <xxxxx>;
Fri, 27 May 2016 14:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mta3.ox.privateemail.com (mta3.ox.privateemail.com [192.64.116.221])
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))
(No client certificate requested)
by erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 6D0D42206E88
for <xxxxx>; Fri, 27 May 2016 14:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mail-oi0-f41.google.com (mail-oi0-f41.google.com [209.85.218.41])
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits))
by mta3.privateemail.com (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id AF2F82400E6
for <xxxxxx>; Fri, 27 May 2016 14:23:01 -0400 (EDT)
Received: by mail-oi0-f41.google.com with SMTP id b65so186533508oia.1
for <xxxxxxxxx>; Fri, 27 May 2016 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
X-Gm-Message-State: ALyK8tK1mjF8gCWIgQkM4Tjkou9KRk0IBO4189UhBBHt4e8yD4Kg5bDdkYePN6qAtSPljpj+3wsQ8vAKx7Xolw==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.157.17.113 with SMTP id p46mr11327156otp.137.1464373381214;
Fri, 27 May 2016 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.182.22.114 with HTTP; Fri, 27 May 2016 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <CADJaCfmZGRBgLS8ZP=HGKbpuxC2dXkEFO_uXsqbbG4eAtRFS1A@mail.gmail.com>
References: <CADJaCfmZGRBgLS8ZP=HGKbpuxC2dXkEFO_uXsqbbG4eAtRFS1A@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 11:23:01 -0700
X-Gmail-Original-Message-ID: <CAJcrBNwqjOFh6zdh-e-B629oA7FNQbzPiM9B3P6jfaZG_QwCQg@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: <CAJcrBNwqjOFh6zdh-e-B629oA7FNQbzPiM9B3P6jfaZG_QwCQg@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 4773 Mission Blvd , San Diego, CA 92109

As I said, I live in Malaga/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. For me this won't be a problem, as i can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, (i'll pay some extra fees for this type of service), which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.

If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.

Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and in case of any reason you will not be satisfied with the apartment (but i don't think so), next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account.

This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...

Let me know,
Jose Morata

Subject: Re: 4773 Mission Blvd , San Diego, CA 92109
To:

Thank you for describing yourself!
Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Malaga/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. For me this won't be a problem, as i can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, (i'll pay some extra fees for this type of service), which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.

If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.

As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and in case of any reason you will not be satisfied with the apartment (but i don't think so), next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account.

Let me know,
Jose Morata

Jose Manuel Morata <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Bryon,

All the best from Spain,
Jose Morata

#296759 by Bryon Williams Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 pm
Total deposit amount: $2,200.00 (1 month of rent + security deposit)
Bank Transfer Reference Code: #6018653
AIRBNB Account Name: SERGIU BUNESCU
AIRBNB Account Holder Address: CALLE SAN ONOFRE 10, 28004 MADRID, SPAIN
IBAN: ES33 2038 5512 0130 0081 7580
Account Number: 2038 5512 0130 0081 7580
SWIFT/BIC Number: CAHMESMM
Bank Name: BANKIA S.A.
Bank Address: CALLE ECUADOR 6, 45004 TOLEDO, SPAIN

Noted (BW)

#296762 by Bryon Williams Tue May 31, 2016 2:49 pm
Domain name:
rents-airbnb.co.uk

Registrant:
Nigel

Registrant type:
Non-UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Data validation:
Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source on 08-May-2016

Registrar:
eNom, Inc. [Tag = ENOM]
URL: http://www.enom.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 08-May-2016
Expiry date: 08-May-2017
Last updated: 08-May-2016

Delivered-To:xxxxxxxxxx
Received: by 10.55.130.193 with SMTP id e184csp1456369qkd;
Mon, 30 May 2016 05:19:13 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.98.10.25 with SMTP id s25mr45389300pfi.124.1464610753308;
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from erelay5.ox.registrar-servers.com (erelay5.ox.registrar-servers.com. [192.64.117.65])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id b16si36282486pfj.23.2016.05.30.05.19.12
for <xxxxxxxx>
(version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 192.64.117.65 as permitted sender) client-ip=192.64.117.65;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 192.64.117.65 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from localhost (unknown [127.0.0.1])
by erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 934A82206FAC
for <xxxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 30 May 2016 12:19:12 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (erelay.ox.registrar-servers.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
with LMTP id php8NvR--psM for <xxxxxxxxx>;
Mon, 30 May 2016 08:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mta4.ox.privateemail.com (unknown [192.64.116.206])
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))
by erelay1.ox.registrar-servers.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 06D3B22001A5
for <xxxxxxxx>; Mon, 30 May 2016 08:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mail-oi0-f52.google.com (mail-oi0-f52.google.com [209.85.218.52])
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits))
by mta4.ox.privateemail.com (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id F204C8800DB
for <xxxxxx>; Mon, 30 May 2016 08:19:08 -0400 (EDT)
Received: by mail-oi0-f52.google.com with SMTP id k23so266624486oih.0
for <xxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 30 May 2016 05:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
X-Gm-Message-State: ALyK8tLL4XgwXZS9N0XqqcUVMLkV41Bl+vAS5JFKYGejyQ/Ag/89ivggWb9H3GUPsj53itQutzhgoaKBzJO1RQ==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.202.177.134 with SMTP id a128mr3910932oif.37.1464610748358;
Mon, 30 May 2016 05:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.182.22.114 with HTTP; Mon, 30 May 2016 05:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 05:19:08 -0700
X-Gmail-Original-Message-ID: <CAJcrBNx4TzBkbecaeAyHiJ6JGvfmT23cb2TkpMTB4z_gV=YxTA@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: <CAJcrBNx4TzBkbecaeAyHiJ6JGvfmT23cb2TkpMTB4z_gV=YxTA@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Rental Contract #6018653
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Airbnb

Welcome to Airbnb
Discover and book unique spaces from local hosts all around the world — from houses and apartments, to tree houses and igloos.

Verification process started on 5/30/2016 | #6018653
Current status: Potential Tenant not Verified

TENANT VERIFICATION REQUEST BY AIRBNB AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR xxxxxxxxxxx
3 STEPS ON HOW TO GET VERIFIED AS A POTENTIAL TENANT
1. The Potential Tenant will deposit 1 month of rent + security deposit to Airbnb using Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer. The deposit will remain into the Airbnb escrow bank account until the Potential Tenant will meet the Host, or the Airbnb agent, inspect the apartment and take a decision. The deposit will remain locked into the Airbnb escrow bank account and only the Potential Tenant -xxxxxx- will be able to unlock the funds. b to b
2. After we receive and secure the deposit from the Potential Tenant, Airbnb will guarantee the tenant -xxxxxx- to any Host or Property Manager listed with Airbnb.

The Host involved in this agreement -Jose Manuel Gil Morata- will receive a confirmation from Airbnb informing him that Airbnb is in possession of the deposit made by the Tenant (1 month of rent + 1 month as a security deposit) that represents the rent amount established by him regarding the property located at 4773 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109, United States.
The Host will be advised that he can move forward and complete the rental agreement. airbnb
3. The Potential Tenant will meet the Host or the Airbnb agent, and inspect the property.
After the Potential Tenant inspects the property he must decide regarding the completion of the rental agreement. The Potential Tenant has two options:

Sign the rental agreement and immediately Airbnb will transfer the deposit to the Host's bank account.
Does not sign the rental agreement and immediately Airbnb will return the deposit (the complete amount $2,200.00 without retaining any fees) to the Potential Tenant's bank account (return time is no longer than 24 hours after request).

ATTENTION: In both cases Airbnb will not unlock or move the deposit without the tenant's exact instructions. Only the Potential Tenant -Peter Flowers- can access the funds. safe
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SEND THE DEPOSIT
The deposit must be sent using Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer .
Your deposit will be sent to one of our available bank accounts. The funds will be secured until you inform us regarding your final decision regarding the transaction status.

IMPORTANT: The first available agent will be assigned automatically to your transaction by our system. AIRBNB has escrow agents all over the world.

Total deposit amount: $2,200.00 (1 month of rent + security deposit)
Bank Transfer Reference Code: #6018653
AIRBNB Account Name: SERGIU BUNESCU
AIRBNB Account Holder Address: CALLE SAN ONOFRE 10, 28004 MADRID, SPAIN
IBAN: ES33 2038 5512 0130 0081 7580
Account Number: 2038 5512 0130 0081 7580
SWIFT/BIC Number: CAHMESMM
Bank Name: BANKIA S.A.
Bank Address: CALLE ECUADOR 6, 45004 TOLEDO, SPAIN
Noted (BW)

IMPORTANT: In order for our system to easily identify your payment please use the following reference : Trade ID #6018653 as payment details massages when performing the transfer no other words, spaces or dashes. Once the bank wire transfer has been made please email a copy of the receipt to [email protected]

ATTENTION: Please ask your bank to use the fastest way to make the wire transfer so we can receive the money deposit in 24 - 48 hours, in order to speed up the transaction.

When the deposit is received, it will be verified and secured into the AIRBNB escrow bank account.
Deposit verification process usually takes less than 24 hours.
You have 2 business days to complete the transfer for your verification.

How to complete the verification deposit?

Send the deposit by bank transfer using the Airbnb banking details located above.
Confirm the deposit by sending an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information:
Bank Transfer Receipt Copy

To refuse and cancel the verification process, please send an e-mail with the subject "Cancellation #6018653" to [email protected]
Once our bank will confirm the transfer we will inform the Host that you are a verified tenant and the rental agreement can be completed.
The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances. Airbnb security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally. Our constant priority is for the safety of our customers. Airbnb always tries to fulfill its customers needs.

Thank you

#296941 by Bryon Williams Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 am
New rental addresses this scammer is using:

311 NW 82nd Ave, Miami, FL 33126

48 Christopher Columbus Dr, Jersey City, NJ 07302

1915 Grace Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90068