Room for Rent and other rental scams
#296633 by Michelle Mon May 30, 2016 11:38 am
Sent: ‎30/‎05/‎2016 11:37
To: Michelle Banks

Thanks for your interest in wanting to be my tenant.
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Slovenia, but now i'm back home in Italy permanently, so i am renting the place for unlimited time.
I am the owner of the apartment. I can rent you the apt. for max. 5 years. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place.
Before we go any further i would like to know something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, what is your job, how old are you and for how long you will stay.
The rent is 360 EUR /month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 1 parking spots, washer and dryer) .
About pets.. there are no problems if you have pets, as long as you clean up after them!
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Daniela Pagani and I'm a 47 years old and working at as a project manager for ACS Construction .

The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Italy even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training. But this won't affect you at all.

I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Italy (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Daniela Pagani <[email protected]>:
Hello,

As I have informed you before, the price you should pay for the first month of rent will be 360 euro and I want also security deposit 360 euro, in total in the first month you have to pay 720 euro without additional charges to pay.
The money for the next months ( 360 euro ) I want to receive monthly in my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire money.
If you want, I will send you the keys and you can visit and inspect the apartment. As I told you on my first email, I want to use (http://www.airbnb.com). They will help us with delivery of the keys, sign the lease contract and to make a third party transaction (they will handle the payment transaction).
To start the transaction with the Airbnb, I need following details about you:
Full name:
Address:
City:
Postal Code:
Mobile phone number:
ID Card number or Passport number:
Date of Birth:
Date you want to move in the apartment:
Rental period that you want to stay:

Now let me to explain you how the transaction it works:
After I received all those details, I can go to Airbnb office and start the transaction. When they will have the keys and the lease contract signed by me, they will send you a booking notification.
Once you receive the booking notification from Airbnb, you will have to go at your bank office and make a bank transfer on the Airbnb bank account, assigned for this transaction, for the amount we agreed ( 720 euro ). If you don't have time to go at your bank office you can make the payment via online banking. I must to tell you that the payment must to be made within 48 hours after the transaction was started. If you can't do this, let me know when you will be able to do this.
Once you've made the payment you will have to send to Airbnb a copy or a photo from the bank transfer confirmation, they should know that you made the deposit. Airbnb will verify the payment and if everything is in order they will delivery the keys and the lease contract to you, in 48 hours. Airbnb agent will call you to schedule an appointment, then he will come with you to visit and inspect the apartment. If you will be satisfied with the flat, you will sign the lease contract. However, if you do not like the apartment for any reason, the agent will give your money back immediately, and I will get my keys and documents back ( I will write on the rental contract this condition, to be sure that you will get your money back ).

Also, in case you have another apartment right now, and you can't move immediately, we can make the deal as I explained it now, and consider it only an inspection and reservation until you will be able to move there.

I will pay for the services of the agency, no additional costs for you.

I am waiting for your quick response, because there are several others interested to rent the apartment, and I need to know if I can count on a deal with you.

Thanks and have a good day

Very Important: Only Airbnb has access to this transaction for more security. Your money will be in safe in Airbnb custody and I hope you read my e-mail very well, and know that you have to pay before see the apartment

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union, MoneyGram or Bank payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement