Room for Rent and other rental scams
#279286 by Ari Schwimmer Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:04 pm
Hi everyone, I'm new to scamwarners.

I own a house that I rent out on VRBO (vacation rental by owner) in a popular tourist area. I've recently become aware of a scam operating on my property. The scammer has stolen the description and photos from my legitimate listing and posted them on Craigslist. Using a fake name/email I engaged with the scammer to collect information.

He asked me to transfer money (using cash deposit or wire transfer) into a bank account in the US. I was able to get him to click on a tracked link and identify that he is in Nigeria (yay?).

So I reported the Craigslist posting as "prohibited" (is there anything more I can do?), and I continue to do this when I find the same kind of posting again and again.

So what can be done here? I want to prevent potential victims from being scammed and also want my legitimate renters to not have to deal with victims showing up at the door with their suitcases.

Is this a well known scam?

Thanks,
Ari
Advertisement

#279289 by Mike Wilson Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:17 pm
Hello,

You can post the payment details here on the forum as a warning to others who may be searching for information on this scam. Also post his opening formant complete with the email address and any telephone numbers that he me be using in this scam.

You also have a message from me.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#279319 by Ari Schwimmer Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:05 am
Ok thanks Mike! Here's all the various names I've identified with the scammers so far. Does anyone know more about how this scam works? I'm including part of a common response template below too.

<removed>
(484) 857-2005 VoIP number in Kempton, PA

949-209-1430 VoIP number in Newport Beach, CA
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
<removed>

Example email template:

Thanks for your inquiry Our home is open for rent Dec 21-24, our
rate per night is $400 and Three days rate is $1,220. Plus $600 damage
deposit is required for booking/ reservation.
Your damage deposit will be refunded to you on your check out date

Total deposit for the period is $1,900

If you are okay with our terms let us know so we can send you our
contract to fill out
We look forward to hearing from you .

Best regards
#279333 by Mike Wilson Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am
The scammer will have the victim send the deposit with the promise of shipping the keys. By the time the victim discovers the scam the money will have been transferred again so there is no real hope of recovering the money..

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#279360 by Ari Schwimmer Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:15 pm
Hi Mike,

What I mean is this: The people who are posting these ads and interacting appear to be in Nigeria (I've been able to get them to click on a link in the email to capture their IP address). However the accounts appears to be legitimate accounts in the US.

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between that US account and the Nigerians who are posting these ads.

Ari
#279361 by AlanJones Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:25 pm
The US bank account will belong to a mule who is probably not complicit in the scam. It is very likely that they are a victim of another scam and think that they have a job receiving funds for a business.

If you can PM the details of the account to Mike, he can arrange for the account to be reported so that it is of no further use to the scammer and also pass the details to someone that can warn the account holder that they are a scam victim.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#279363 by Bryon Williams Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 pm
To add to AJ comments.

In most cases the people listing the ads are victims who think they have an online job. They just either post the email address of the scammer or forward the messages.

In some cases the scammers are obtaining access to CL accounts.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#279364 by Ari Schwimmer Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:39 pm
I've sent on the accounts I've collected to Mike, thanks!

In this case I'm certain the people that are behind the Craigslist accounts are complicit -- they are replying as a property owner and send fake vacation rental agreements, provide bank transfer accounts, etc.

My focus recently has been to collect as many of these accounts as possible so that when I get the police interested I can hand them over -- I'll continue to do this but give them to Mike as well.

My other strategy at the moment is to post all the names that the scammers are operating under on Craigslist (and here too) so that a search for these names will uncover these scams. At least this makes the scammers have to create more and more identities.
#281130 by Resort949 Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:36 pm
I am currently in contact with this person. They are listing an oceanfront property in Newport Beach on 38th st. I became suspicious when some of the email replies were broken english. I became more suspicious when I responded to the email with my phone number and asked for a call, i received a call from Montebello Ca 323-895-0312 followed by a call right after that from Congo - Kinshasa +234 898408367. I answered the one from Congo and the man barely spoke english and I think he was trying to close the deal but his english was so bad I couldn't understand him. I was able to find this site by googling the phone number. Thank you for reporting this. I suggest putting up an add that looks just like theres but in the title put *****SCAM***** Good luck hopefully this prevents anyone else from falling into there trap. I was ready to rent the place out for the entire summer at there prices!! the newest add is; http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/vac/5389943289.html
#281149 by Mike Wilson Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:17 pm
Hello Resort949 ,
I am glad that you discovered the scam before you lost money to this criminal. If you received and email asking for money to paid, please post the email here in this thread. Be sure to removed your personal information before posting.

+234 898408367 originates from Yenogoa, Nigeria

It is ALWAYS a scam
#281211 by Mike Wilson Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am
The vacation rental scammers often copy the text and images from a legitimate site and then post ads on some free listing service such as Cragslist with claimed rates that are always a fraction of the true rental price.
The scammer will ask for 40 to 50% of the total fee plus as security deposit. Once the payment is made they will disappear.

[email protected] Scammer

Hi XXX,

Our rental is available from July 1st through July 31st. Rental Address is 3801 Seashore Dr Newport Beach, CA 92663.Find more photos as attached. 4 Bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, Sleeps 12.

Rental Rate:$2000 per month x 1 = $2000 (cleaning fees and tax inclusive), You are to deposit half of your rent and a $400 refundable Security Deposit to hold the reservation. The Security Deposit will be refunded on the check out day.

50% deposit = $1000
Refundable Security deposit = $400
Total deposit for reservation = $1400

If this works for you we will send you our booking form.

Regards
Ryan

[email protected]

It is ALWAYS a scam
#301500 by tfinch5 Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:51 am
I JUST GOT SCAMMED BY THIS PERSON. IT WAS FOR A PROPERTY AT 415 14TH STREET HUNIGTION BEACH, CALIFORNIA. I COPIED THE FIRST EMAIL. I SENT 1200 AND DROVE MY FAMILY WITH 8 KIDS FROM TEXAS TO CALIFORNIA JUST TO FIND OUT I HAD BEEN SCAMMED. I WAS DESTROYED AND SPENTED SOME OF OUR VACATION SLEEPING IN THE RENTAL VAN. WE JUST GOT BACK TOFAY AND I STARTED RESEARCHING THIS NUMBER. I CANT BELIEVE I TRUSTED SO EASILY. THEY HAD ME SEND TO WELLS FARGO.

Kyle Hunter <[email protected]>
Jun 3

to me
<snipped>,
We acknowledge the receipt of your completed booking form, To complete your reservation send us the deposit with the account information below. Walk into any Wells Fargo Bank near you and make a cash deposit.

<BANK ACCOUNT NOTED - Tim>
BANK NAME: Wells Fargo Bank

ACCOUNT NAME:Mathew Scott Gilbreath

ACCOUNT NUMBER:7678644514

ROUTING NUMBER:091000019

Upon receiving the deposit, We will issue you a receipt confirming your payment. Please know that you will print the receipt and provide it on the day of check in as it will be used for verification during check in process

Regards,
Kyle & Mathew
[email protected]
949-209-1430

WHEN I WAS A LITTLE SCARED OF BEING SCAMMED:

Jun 2

to me
We understand the level of your skepticism. This is our private property and we have been renting it for the past two years without having issue dealing with any of our guest. to ease your skepticism you may come for a walk through before making the deposit if possible.

<snipped>
Jun 2

to Kyle
Well I live in Texas so I will take your word for it.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/vac/5612001112.html

craigslist email at first: '[email protected]'
Last edited by Tim Atem on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
#301501 by tfinch5 Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:52 am
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 2:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: relax in an amazing beach house, within minutes of walking to the beach

Hi <snipped>,
Our rental is available from July 18th through July 22nd. Rental Address is 425 14th St Huntington Beach, CA 92648. Find more photos as attached. 3 Bedrooms,3.5 Bathroom, Sleeps 13

Rental Rate:$200 per night * 4 = $800 (cleaning fees and tax inclusive),You are to deposit half of your rent and a $400 Refundable Security Deposit to hold the reservation.The Security Deposit will be refunded on the check out day.

50% deposit = $400

Refundable Security deposit = $400

Total deposit for reservation = $800

If this works for you we will send you our booking form.

Regards
Kyle.
[email protected]

tfinch5 wrote:I JUST GOT SCAMMED BY THIS PERSON. IT WAS FOR A PROPERTY AT 415 14TH STREET HUNIGTION BEACH, CALIFORNIA. I COPIED THE FIRST EMAIL. I SENT 1200 AND DROVE MY FAMILY WITH 8 KIDS FROM TEXAS TO CALIFORNIA JUST TO FIND OUT I HAD BEEN SCAMMED. I WAS DESTROYED AND SPENTED SOME OF OUR VACATION SLEEPING IN THE RENTAL VAN. WE JUST GOT BACK TOFAY AND I STARTED RESEARCHING THIS NUMBER. I CANT BELIEVE I TRUSTED SO EASILY. THEY HAD ME SEND TO WELLS FARGO.

Jun 3

to me
Tiffany,
We acknowledge the receipt of your completed booking form, To complete your reservation send us the deposit with the account information below. Walk into any Wells Fargo Bank near you and make a cash deposit.

BANK NAME: Wells Fargo Bank

ACCOUNT NAME:Mathew Scott Gilbreath

ACCOUNT NUMBER:7678644514

ROUTING NUMBER:091000019

Upon receiving the deposit, We will issue you a receipt confirming your payment. Please know that you will print the receipt and provide it on the day of check in as it will be used for verification during check in process

Regards,
Kyle & Mathew
[email protected]
949-209-1430

WHEN I WAS A LITTLE SCARED OF BEING SCAMMED:

Jun 2

to me
We understand the level of your skepticism. This is our private property and we have been renting it for the past two years without having issue dealing with any of our guest. to ease your skepticism you may come for a walk through before making the deposit if possible.

Tiffany Finch <[email protected]>
Jun 2

to Kyle
Well I live in Texas so I will take your word for it.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/vac/5612001112.html

craigslist email at first: '[email protected]'
Last edited by Tim Atem on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.