Room for Rent and other rental scams
#307537 by Michelle Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Subject: RE: North Oakland, near borders of Berkeley & Emeryville.
To: Michelle Banks

Thanks for your interest and sorry for the late response was due to my wife illness but i thank GOD she is getting better. I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business. However, My name is Rev Martin,I own the House located at 1068 65th St,
Oakland, CA 94608. Due to my job as a missionary worker, we are going to stay in Washington for an international Christian Followers crusade.that I decided to rent out the House and i will be here for (3-5 years).. However, the initial plan was to sale out the House. Which I tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the price and it takes longer to sell i am telling you this in case if you find the House on another website, that is the old advert. because of this reason and more we need rental agreement with a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take care of it as if it were yours The rent is $800 deposit is $800 For this 1 Bed /1 Bath . Air Conditioner Dishwasher Walk-in Closet Refrigerator Vaulted Ceilings Washer/Dryer Cable etc...

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
(Private and Confidential)
Fill below information correctly...
FIRST NAME:
MIDDLE NAME:
LAST NAME:
(CELL)PHONE
(Property)PHONE
KIDS : (YES/NO), HOW MANY :
PRESENT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN:
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING:
HOW MANY MONTH RENT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY UPFRONT:
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE DEPOSIT FEES:
DO YOU HAVE PET :
KIND OF PETS:
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE :
DO YOU DRINK :
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT:
PICTURES OF OCCUPANT :
COPY OF DRIVER LICENCES:
REFERENCE........
NAME:
ADDRESS:

Regards,
Rev Martin

Hello

As we review your details, we will be hoping to give you the property in good faith. We are willing to accept and approve your rent application has our new tenant. I want you to know that you will be paying for the rent and security deposit that is fully refundable at the end of tenancy and a month's rent, so that I can proceed in writing the receipts and sign all the necessary papers. The deposit and the rent is refundable if by any means you want it back and decide not to rent the place. I will be heading to FedEx Office to arrange for the shipment of a package to you next day delivery.I will email you the tracking number from the courier service immediately i get the payment confirmation from you.The contents of the package are;

-- Bunch of Keys to the property.
-- Lease agreement
-- Documents containing property location and description.
-- Tenancy agreement and policy.
-- Receipts. ( Once the payment is confirm).

I have four other tenants that are ready to make upfront payment, but am not going to accept their offers, because they are okers, drunks, they party, so please promise me you are going to take good care of my Property. Note that all the documents of my property will be sent to you as soon as you agreed with terms. So please do get back to me today so that i will let know the next step to take concerning the payment. The Property is available for rent for up to 4 years or more, so you are free to decide on how long you intend occupying it. Rent already includes utilities so you do not have to pay extra charges for that, I'm ready to accept either monthly or upfront mode of payment, depending on the one you're most comfortable with. Utilities include: power, water, sewer and trash.I will go ahead and commence on how the Property Keys/Documents will be delivered to you and i will ensure that i book for the 24 hours FedEx next day delivery service as to enable you receive it on time and as scheduled. Let me hear back from you as soon as possible so that i can arrange for the delivery. I Await to read back from you so i can send you the information which you will use to make the payment via Bank Deposit.
Thanks and God bless.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement