Room for Rent and other rental scams
#309950 by Michelle Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 pm
Hello

We apologize for the delay. We are Bernardina and Martijn. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved in Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism, a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, at some point we were very close to give it all up but in the end we managed to work things out.

At first, we put the apartment on the housing market. Being not very profitable at the moment and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Neude 30d, 3512AG, Utrecht. The monthly rent is 650 euro with all utility fees included except tv and internet. The apartment is furnished and equipped.

At the moment, neither of us can leave, being busy with the chalet administration so we can't meet with you personally but we do have a solution for this inconvenience so you can move in as soon as possible.

We can offer you more details if you are interested.

Thanks,
Bernardina and Martijn

Hello Michelle

Sorry for the delay, we have been very crowded at the chalet this week. I sent all the details to Homeaway. They will provide you all the necessary payment details. Please confirm that you have received the bill from them.
As soon as Homeaway confirms that the payment is in their custody, I will start the shipping of the keys and contract at the address provided.

I wait for your e-mail.

Have a nice weekend,
Martijn

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement