Room for Rent and other rental scams
#330926 by cgm931 Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am
Hi everyone,

I recently found a flat that was "too good to be true" but decided to try it out. I got the fake invoice today, so I'm copying the details in case someone else has been lied to. Seriously, why is it that hard to find a flat? :/

"Good morning,

I've received your message of interest for my apartment located on: Wöhlertstraße 10a, Mitte 10115, Berlin.

The rent for 1 month is 600 € ( for the entire apartment ) including all utilities ( water, gas, electricity-heating, WIFI ).

The security deposit is 800 € and you get it back when you decide to leave the apartment ( you will have to give me at least 1 month notice ).

Thank you,
Charlene"

+
"Good afternoon,

My name is Charlene Schneider, I worked as a development engineer in Berlin. My contract period there expired and now I've moved back with my work in Manchester, UK (my home town).

Due to this fact, I'm renting the place for unlimited time as I am the owner of the apartment. The studio is fully furnished, equipped and renovated.

This is the second time when I try to rent my apartment, I had a "deal" with a "nice couple" before, who said that they will definitely rent the apartment and convinced me to come over to Germany. So I got a plane ticket and they didn't show up. I lost money and precious time on their promise.

So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more.

I want to rent the apartment in a legal condition, of course, and I have a solution to solve this problem so you can move in the apartment.

Kindly let me know if you are really interested in renting my apartment so that we can proceed further.

Sincerely,
Charlene"

and the airbnb fake one...

Payment Details
Payment method approved is bank transfer. Remember to send a scanned copy of the bank transfer receipt to confirm your booking. You have 2 working days to confirm the payment. Payment will be sent to our Airbnb Agent from Ireland. For any further questions, you can contact Airbnb by replying to this email.

Bank name: Permanent TSB

Agent Beneficiary: Miclav Stadovic
BIC / SWIFT CODE: IPBSIE2D
IBAN: IE20 IPBS 9907 112636 5381
Bank address: 12 Lower Castle St, Cloonalour, Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Noted (BW)

Important* Some banks require to enter a description of payment, be sure to include the Receipt #193838125507 in the payment description, no other details, without this minor detail, the payment will be hard to process and sometimes the payment cannot be processed.

1 month cost
€ 600
Airbnb Service Fee (includes VAT)
€ 18
Security Deposit
(Security Deposit will be refunded by Airbnb, 24h after checkout)
€ 800
Total due
€ 1418
Advertisement

#331899 by Leeanne Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:47 am
Hi everyone

We recently received an email from [email protected] in response to an enquiry about an apartment she said she owned at Kantstrasse 35, Charlottenburg, Berlin. It's virtually word for word, explaining how she had found a 'nice couple' who didn't show up and to protect both herself and the tenant, she was putting it on Airbnb for the payments and lease to be handled. Yup, same Miclav Stadovic on the account name of the purported Airbnb (fake) invoice. Have reported it to airbnb.