Room for Rent and other rental scams
#337124 by ImGonnaGitYewSucka Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Found EXACT photos and description on https://www.vrbo.com/478767

I first noticed this on Craigslist for Chicago. When I wrote, this is the response I got:
"Hello, i'm a bit out of the office so this is an automated reply.
My apt at 20 N State St, Chicago, IL 60602 is available at $1100 per month. For more details and the move in requirements please see my apt's youtube video https://youtu.be/wCpTGvkQW5c .I cannot reply to this email. If you're interested, you have my personal email in the youtube description."

The description on the YouTube video is:
Uploaded on Jul 12, 2017
To move in: First Month + Last Month + One month rent refundable deposit ( that you will get back when you move out )
AREA: Central neighborhood, very nice area, very quiet and safe, close to all the best attractions, easy access to public transportation. Great Restaurants, Bars, Pubs and shopping in the immediate area, everything within walking distance.

BUILDING : Secured/keyed entry, full service doorman. 3rd floor, building with elevator, State-of-the-art fitness center, sauna all free access. 24-hour emergency maintenance, Business/Conference Center with computers,copier/fax machine, wireless internet, etc! An underground gated PARKING space INCLUDED, Storage unit included. We can move our furniture in storage (if you want to rent unfurnished and use your own furniture).

APARTMENT : Very spacious, aprox 1000sqft, very modern and bright, 1 large bedroom, 1,5 bath, a living room, dining area, washer and dryer in the apartment, lots of closets and storage space. Fully furnished, spacious/open modern Kitchen with Stainless Steel Appliances: Range/oven, microwave, dishwasher & refrigerator, Cookware, Dishes, Pots, Pans, Coffee maker and so on. All new bedding/linens, towels etc. Air Conditioning, Sound System. WiFi and Cable ready etc. Rent includes all Utilities. Just bring your bags and move right in!

To rent it email me: [email protected]
Category
People & Blogs
License
Standard YouTube License

I wrote to the "personal email address" and received the following response:
"Mary Roark <[email protected]>
Aug 3

to me

I'd be more than happy to rent my apartment to you.
We usually rent this for double the monthly rent you've been offered. It's an online only special offer for that discounted price, available only for renting it online. You will rent the apartment simple and easy, just like a hotel, a ski chalet, or a vacation villa.
Your lease can be min 2 months up to 2 years, with the possibility to renew. Month to month ok. The rent is for the entire apt, Not a share.
If you want to rent it, the total will be 2months, plus one month rent as refundable deposit, that you will get back when you move out.

The apartment will be ready to move in max 1-2 weeks from now. You can rent it or secure it now and move in later.

We're actually based in Las Vegas, my family and i own 13 properties in the east and west coast cities. We rent our properties online on Tripadvisor.com, they're the world's most trusted website for accommodation reviews, we have been in business for many years and have only excellent reviews. The apt does not show up on tripadvisor until it's move in ready but if you're interested i can send you the direct link, you can see more details including, feedback or reviews from past tenants and rent it if you've decided you want it.

Did you see the youtube video of the apt ? Do you like it? Anything in particular you are looking for ?

If you're interested in renting the apt, we're looking for serious reliable people with a stable financial situation. To move forward just email me something that shows you're in a good financial situation. You can email anything you want that shows you're financially stable, have 2months plus one as deposit available to secure the apt and that future monthly rent will not be a problem.
Any questions you may have please let me know.

Mary."

Today, 8/18/2017, I received a notification from Craigslist <[email protected]> today stating:

You've received a reply from a Craigslist user, it's temporary hidden.
To read messages and to maintain a safe environment please your account using the following link :
https://post.craigslist.org/k/RBQ26XmE5 ... hbth3?s=pn
Once you've verified your account you will resume to read messages and reply other members.
Thank you,
Craigslist.
---------------------
About craigslist mail:
http://craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay
Please flag unwanted messages (spam, scam, other):
http://craigslist.org/mf/0ba8eef12eaed1 ... 11b4fe47.1

The link opened up on a CL post management page which, when I clicked "edit" to change description to REVEAL THEIR SCAM, CL displayed post as as "Flagged for removal"

The link was NOT MY POST, but a Philly version (SAME PHOTOS!) of the Chicago post I replied to:

The Philadelphia CraigsList post reads:
$1100 Furnished, spacious and bright 2 bedrooms apartment (Philadelphia)

Wall-To-Wall Carpeted Bedrooms,Individual Intrusion Alarms,Pre-war Style Marble Bathrooms with Pedestal Sinks
2 cots in living room, 24hr doorman/concierge/service. Corporations or private tenants are welcome.
All linen/towels provided, maid service on-request. Cable TV, 2 Air cond, high speed internet, marble bathroom.
Walk-in closet, kitchen with new app Contact for more details, Pets OK
Advertisement