Room for Rent and other rental scams
#349393 by Michelle Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am
"Paul Smith" <[email protected]>

Hi,
Here is the apartment address: 1200 Brickell Bay Drive, Miami, FL 33131 {Unit Number won't be disclosed now for security reasons)
See attached pictures of the unit and the rental form, and the monthly rent is $1000 includes all utilities.
An advance First month rent payment plus the Refundable security deposit of $1000 shall be paid before move in.
How long do you intend to stay in the unit, how many months upfront payment are willing to pay and when do you intend to move in & out?
If you will need to vacate the apartment, notice shall be given 30 days prior to intended day of moving.
The security deposit shall be refunded on or before the day of vacating the apartment.
Please return the filled application at your convenience, which I expect to receive the approved sublease agreement from my landlord.
I am willing to review the sublease agreement and seal a deal soon.
Thanks,
Paul
Call or Text (602) 888-9696

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#350671 by Clevername Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm
He said the exact same thing to me. Horrible scammer and the story was laughable.

First email I got from the scammer:

Hello,
I'm glad you’re interested in subleasing and I'm very optimistic that you will find it interesting subletting from me. I'm Paul Smith
I got a contract with Glacier Oil & Gas Corp. as Drill site manager here in Anchorage, Alaska
I still have more than 18 months lease in my apartment at Palmer Square, Princeton. The unit is currently vacant and locked while I would like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer to start with 1 to 6 Months or 1 to 2 years with option of renewal. The monthly payments will be paid directly to the landlord.
The apartment is furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances and its inclusive all the bills too. As its difficult to find someone to sublease for the whole year & 6 months, I am happy to lease the apartment to you for short/long term. I will not be able to show the apartment to you in person, since I'm in currently out of town. I took some pictures of the unit before leaving and can show them to you to see if it’s okay and I also have the keys and documents right here with me, so you can only view the unit from outside at the moment.
I’d have actually left it vacant, but my wife advised that I must rent it out. Its 1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom, furnished, Electricity, Dishwasher, Wi-Fi Internet, Water, Air condition/Heater, Washer & Dryer and Assigned Parking space are included in the monthly rent. The rent, which includes all utilities, is $1,200 per month. A Refundable damage deposit of $1,200 will be paid alongside the rent before you move in and the building is pets allowed/friendly. I will like you to tell me about yourself because I am interested in knowing your capability of funding the rent and taking care of my apartment.
Please let me know if you would still like to proceed to sub-lease the unit so I can speak with the landlord for the rental form and preparation of the contract agreement. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Paul
PS: I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment (as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition)

SECOND EMAIL:

Hi,
Here is the apartment address: 3 Palmer Sq W, Princeton, NJ 08542 {Unit Number won't be disclosed now for security reasons)
See attached pictures of the unit and the rental form, and the monthly rent is $1200 includes all utilities.
An advance First month rent payment plus the Refundable security deposit of $1200 shall be paid before move in.
How long do you intend to stay in the unit, how many months upfront payment are willing to pay and when do you intend to move in & out?
If you will need to vacate the apartment, notice shall be given 30 days prior to intended day of moving.
The security deposit shall be refunded on or before the day of vacating the apartment.
Please return the filled application at your convenience, which I expect to receive the approved sublease agreement from my landlord.
I am willing to review the sublease agreement and seal a deal soon.
Thanks,
Paul

...he attached a "rental application form" (who even calls it that?) that had format errors and different texts in it.

Buyers beware of this guy!
#352798 by charlyjones Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:47 pm
I got the same emails from Paul Smith - Then today I got "approved" to wire him $ 1600 - Without seeing the apartment first - Same name: Paul Smith - Same phone number: ( 602 ) 888-9696 - Different email address: Paul Smith <[email protected]> - The apartment was alleged to be in Philadelphia PA -

I'm going to paste in today's email from him - Does anyone know how to track him down by the banking information he provided ? Or track the alleged landlord, "Eula Williams" ?

-------------------------------------------------

Paul Smith

Hi xxxxx,

Thank you very much for your interest in subletting this apartment, I can see your willingness in this apartment and want to inform you that you have been chosen as the new subtenant. I want you to know that we are satisfied with your rental application form and also believe the landlord and I can trust you because we would not be happy if you fail to keep the apartment tidy. I also want you to know that we will allow you to stay for the duration period of time you wish to, your move in date will be February 1st, 2018. I hope you are aware that all the utilities are included in the rent. The landlord will be receiving the payment of (First Month Rent + Refundable Security Deposit ) payment from you via bank transfer/deposit into the landlord account, from your application l can see that you are responsible person, May the Almighty Lord lead you in what ever you wish to do.

Here are the contents that will be delivered to you via USPS/Fedex courier service and my landlord banking details for the deposit below.
1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent apartment form(Containing your details)
3)The apartment documented file.
4)Payment Receipts.
5)Full address and description of the building.
6) Signed lease Agreement Form (sign on both copies and send one back to me).

Landlord Banking Information:-
Bank Name: Wells Fargo Bank
Account Holder'' Landlord’ Eula Williams
Routing number: 111-900-659
Account number: 8843-2985-82
Wire Transfer Routing: 121-000-248
SWIFT/BIC Code: WFBIUS6S
Noted (BW)

As soon as the payment has been confirmed by the landlord, I will send the keys/documents of the apartment which will be delivered to you via USPS/Fedex Courier service on Next Day Delivery and it will have to be delivered to the address (10 Minnetonka Trail, Medford Lakes, NJ 08055) So you can move in at your convenience. Meanwhile the package will be addressed to (xxxxx). Once again We're giving you this apartment based on trust and do not disappoint us because we don't want the landlord property to be destroyed. Let me know when the payment will be made, Once she confirms the payment then I will drive down to courier the keys and documents to you immediately and email/text you the tracking numbers ASAP.
Attached is the sublease agreement/contract which you will be signing and return a signed copy back to me. You're expected to make the deposit of $1,600 to the landlord account and get back to me with a copy of the Deposit/Transfer slip.

I wait to read back from you soon.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Paul Smith
#352799 by Bryon Williams Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 pm
The scammer is using fake/stolen names nothing to track down.

The bank acct. belongs to another victim of the scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/