Room for Rent and other rental scams
#364200 by Michelle Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am

Hello,

Like you saw in the posting, the rent for the entire apartment is 450 euro per month and for the entire period that you want to stay a security deposit of 1000 euro is required. All monthly bills for this apartment are included in the rent price (electricity,water,heating,gas).
The location of the apartment is very quiet and also close to the city center.
As you can see in the photos the apartment is fully equipped: kitchen (micro,fridge,oven,toaster,blender, dishwasher), bath (washing machine,dryer,towels,sheets), apartment (TV,air conditioning,wi-fi with high speed internet).
My family bought this apartment so you are renting directly from the owner. Minimum renting period is 2 months, maximum 5 years. We have lived there for 5 years but due to our business, we have moved back to our origin in Germany.
I want to know you a little better so please make a short story about you and include this answers also:
if you work here, what profession and if you got a contract, how much do you want to stay, how many guests, do you have pets...

Thank you, Sanda

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#365529 by nblooms Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 am
Hello -

Had a two week correspondence wit her re rental in Oslo. Seemed totally legit. I told this person I wouldn't deal with her directly since this was a remote (Canada->Norway) arrangement. Said no problem, they would go through Airbnb, all legit and third party. They emailed me with the same email you posted. When time to pay I was directed to link to continue. The Airbnb site looked exactly like official site with working links, language selection etc. I couldn't navigate to ABB home page but assumed perhaps this was my connection and proceeded to payment page. Only option for payment was wire transfer. I emailed saying I wouldn't, only credit card to protect us both. They wrote saying Transfer best, because they would get confirmation from ABB within 24-48 hours and Airbnb would show me apartment and hand over keys. Which I knew was all hinky. So I screenshot all emails, copied link they provided and screenshot the payment page they provided and sent to ABB. I got a call immediately. Change all passwords - this was major fraud and they were investigating using all info I provided. The listing on ABB was stolen. Sad to think people would pay wire transfer - but they said sometimes it's about hacking into your computer and stealing identity.