Room for Rent and other rental scams
#367723 by Michelle Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 am

Hi

Good day and thanks for the response. The apartment is 3 bedroom flat and i am only renting out 2 rooms, i am the one using the third room, renting a single bedroom is okay by me, i will only need to look for someone else to rent the second bedroom, the apartment is still vacant and you can start to rent as soon as possible but sorry viewing the flat will not be possible for now because i have left country already and i have the flat keys here with me, i just relocated here in United Kingdom due to my new job and that is the main reason i am renting out the flat but I can only send you the flat pictures to see and have an idea of the flat am still working here in United Kingdom that’s why i am searching for reliable tenant who is going to take good care of this apartment for me in my absence because am still going to be here for almost a year, whenever i traveled like that,i make use of house agent or a friend of mine over there but they cheat alot on my tenants and my tenants complains a lot about that. That is the reason why i took the keys along with me because i don't want my apartment to be used anyhow in my absence. Here is my number +441617680740. I am always on my ipad to check mail just write me a message on my email to ask me what ever question you want to ask. I will be waiting to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Kati

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement