Room for Rent and other rental scams
#372528 by Michelle Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:33 pm

I've received your inquiry about my home for rent that I have on .
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the home, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 690.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the property and I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own house and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the rental process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The procedure is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure.
Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Christopher Simmons
Email: [email protected]

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#372800 by Michelle Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 am

I've received your inquiry about my home for rent that I have on 300 5th Street, Charlotte.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the home, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This home comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 570.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term contract (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the property and I had the entire property completely modernized, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own house and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the rental process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

#372929 by Michelle Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 pm
Christopher Simmons [mailto:[email protected]]

Further to this Scam

IADC Certified Engineer / Christopher Simmons
Phone: +1 609.957.5889

#373590 by Sdallen1759 Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am
I've received your inquiry about my apartment for rent that I have on East Kiowa Street, Colorado Springs.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the apartment, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This property comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 550.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own residence and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my apartment to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the rental process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,

#374252 by ghostlung Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:56 pm
I got the same exact reply from this guy. I've never rented an apartment before so I actually went through with a transaction. I'm really worried, is there anything I can do to get my money back?
I know I probably sound like an idiot for just blindly going through with this ahhh
#374321 by Shon23 Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 pm
This is most definitely a scam. I received nearly the exact same email. He even provided a passport pic where the name look like it has been photoshopped
#374323 by Shon23 Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 pm
I've received your inquiry about my property for rent that I have on 250 N Broadway, Yonkers.
This property comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 760.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and I had the entire property completely renovated, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own house and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my apartment to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the rental process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited
#378723 by Victoria_21 Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm
This is definitely a scam!!! I am glad googled [email protected] before going forward. I received the same emails that have been posted here, luckily I found out it was a scam before sending any money.

"I've received your inquiry about my property for rent that I have on 151 Fort Pitt Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the apartment, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 830.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term contract (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own place and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.

Best Regards,

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited."

Second Email-

" Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, HomeAway will handle the rental process on my behalf due to my offshore job. Also you can secure the apartment now and move in when your current lease ends or when you want.
The first step (Starting the process):
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period with exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport so we can initiate the rental process.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $ 830.00 to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation (please note that this will be the total move in cost).
The security deposit includes the first month's rent and it will play as holding fee as well and will be refunded immediately with no questions asked if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( Only if the apartment is not vandalized or something). A 30 days advance notice is required in case you need to leave early.
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account or you can continue paying through HomeAway.
If you find it acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the HomeAway reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. Please remember that I'll have to pay transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency and put a face to the name.

Best Regards,

IADC Certified Engineer / Christopher Simmons

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited."
#379962 by NickGross Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm
Almost fell for this thank you!
Christopher Simmons <[email protected]>

AttachmentsSat, Jan 12, 12:09 PM (2 days ago)

to me
Hello Nicholas , thank you for your inquiry,
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). The apartment I own on 23 Water Grant St is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of $820. A few things about myself, I'm 36 years old and I work inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me Chris.
If interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, something that shows you are financially stable, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, 2 months minimum stay up to 5 years with the possibility of renewal, behaved pets are allowed. The move in amount will be first month's pay + one month deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent the apartment, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip to Yonkers so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

Best Regards,
IADC Certified-Engineer - Christopher Simmons

#384144 by LteeEm29 Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Can he be stopped! Things weren't adding up so I googled it. Good thing I did. I knew it was too good to be true. Argh!!!

Christopher Simmons <[email protected]>
Thu, Apr 11, 10:27 AM (1 day ago)
to me

Hello, thank you for your inquiry,
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week).
The unit I own on Gold St, Hartford is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 780.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 38 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me Christopher. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Hartford a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are permitted. The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan a swing back to Hartford so arrange a showing. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos but I get an error, can you add me or my email address to your contact list? Maybe that's why it doesn't went through.

Best Regards,

Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
#384346 by alejowastaken Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am
Almost fell for this guy too.

here is his original email:

Hello xxxxxxxx
The monthly rent listed in the add is for the entire property. It is available and ready to move in as we speak.
The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan a swing back to arrange a showing. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.
A few things about myself, I'm 38 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me Christopher. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to the city a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are permitted.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos but I get an error, can you add me or my email address to your contact list?
Maybe that's why it doesn't went through.

Best Regards,

Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

And here is his latest email:

Hello again,
Everything sounds great. Unfortunately the earliest I can return on dry land will be at the end of June and renting the apartment would be the only reason to make the trip to the city. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer.

Please be sure to add my email to your contact list, last time I got an error when attaching the photos.

Best Regards,

#391280 by Michelle Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am
C. Simmons Certified Engineer - IADC <[email protected]>

First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week) and your email went into my spam folder.
The unit I own on 1280 W Peachtree St, Atlanta is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of $800.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 54 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Atlanta a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). A few things about the apartment to refresh your memory: The utilities and HOA are included in rent, it is a 457 Sqft studio. Also the parking, there is a private garage.
The rent is for the whole apartment, I will not stay there because I have another home from the oil company.
The condo is furnished just like in the photos I sent you, it also has a washer/dryer. I will move my extra furniture in the storage if you have your own, you choose what will remain, so basically, you can rent it with or without my furniture.
What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are permitted (there is no pet fee).
The move in amount will be the first month + one deposit.

I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan a swing back to arrange a showing. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos. Also please add my email to your contact list, last time I got an error when attaching the photos.

Thank you for your time,

~Stay safe out there~

Christopher Simmons - IADC Certified Engineer

e: [email protected]

p: (206)-539-1142 (not working when offshore)
w: www.iadc.org

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DRILLING CONTRACTORS
3657 Briarpark Drive, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77042 USA

Confidentiality Notice: The material contained in or accompanying this electronic transmission may contain confidential information which is the property of IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify us immediately.

#391891 by cycleoflaughter Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 pm
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week) and your email went into my spam folder.
The unit I own on 20 West Street, Portland is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of $975.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 54 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Portland a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). A few things about the apartment to refresh your memory: The utilities and HOA are included in rent, it is a 2 beds, 1 bath, 1,271 sqft apartment. Also the parking, there is a private garage.
The rent is for the whole apartment, I will not stay there because I have another home from the oil company.
The condo is furnished just like in the photos I sent you, it also has a washer/dryer. I will move my extra furniture in the storage if you have your own, you choose what will remain, so basically, you can rent it with or without my furniture.
What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are permitted (there is no pet fee).
The move in amount will be the first month + one deposit.

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan a swing back to arrange a showing. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos but I get an error, can you add me or my email address to your contact list? Maybe that's why it doesn't go through.

Thank you for your time,

~Stay safe out there~

p: (206)-539-1142 (not working when offshore)

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF DRILLING CONTRACTORS
3657 Briarpark Drive, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77042 USA

Confidentiality Notice: The material contained in or accompanying this electronic transmission may contain confidential information which is the property of IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify us immediately.

Hello, you didn't mention the move it dates so I can check my schedule. As I said in my previous email I'm currently on an oil rig and I need to plan my trip back so we can arrange a showing.

Thank you for your time,

~Stay safe out there~

p: (614) 924-9681 (not working when offshore)

Hello again Summer,
Everything sounds great. Let me start by attaching a photo of my passport to this email to put a face to the name and for a little transparency.
Unfortunately, the earliest I can return on dry land will be at the end of August and renting the apartment would be the only reason to make the trip to the city. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize yourself with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer.
#392860 by RAO68 Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:01 pm
This happened again in Burlington VT. I thankfully googled his name before sending any money and several scam sites with the same worded emails appeared. I did send a picture of my license but thankfully NO money and when he responds again I will definitely not. Seemed too good to be true and turns out it was.. it is a shame that retail sites aren't able to remove him.

First email:
"Hello, thank you for your inquiry,
The unit I own on 40 College St, Burlington is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 760.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 54 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Most of the time I am offshore, I return a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). A few things about the apartment to refresh your memory: The utilities and HOA are included in rent, it is a 1 bed, 1 bath, 989 sqft apartment. Also the parking, there is a private garage included.
The move in-amount will be the first month + one deposit.

I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent, starting when? Also can you please confirm your phone number.

P.S. I tried to send you the photos but I got an error (can you check please if you received them?), or can you add me or my email address to your contact list? Maybe that's why it doesn't go through.

Thank you for your time,
~Stay safe out there~

Second email:
" Everything sounds great. Let me start by attaching a photo of my passport to this email to put a face to the name and for a little transparency.
Unfortunately, the earliest I can return on dry land will be at the end of August - mid-September and renting the apartment would be the only reason to make the trip to the city. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize yourself with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer."