Room for Rent and other rental scams
#144069 by Sfc1210 Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm
I got a word for word email from Mary Forest using the email [email protected]. I have emailed over 40 times with her, and have since figured out she is a fraud. She sent me a check for $2,300 from a legitimate company. When I contacted the company they were furious to find out someone had stolen an account number. The check was a real check, and she asked me to deposit it, then write her a check for 2,000- the amount of her "stuffs" to be shipped. I needed a subleaser desperately, and have wasted time and energy on this fraud. Now I am left with no subleaser. Please DO NOT fall for this persons tricks! "She" clearly uses many names, but only rotates through a few "life stories", so glad I found this site before I made a huge mistake. She also contacted me using the phone number (323) 744-0518, which not many other people seem to have encountered. Here is the email everybody seems to have gotten.

Hey,

Thanks for your email. I am still interested..I just want you to know little about me.

I am 24 year old. I'm real fun person &hard working clean and quite person and easy going and respected My laugh is soft and contagious. I eat breakfast 24/7 and i cook very well .My addiction is to taking photographs of people,Places and things has re-surfaced and put into Art work. I love traveling, sporting and enjoy meeting people. I don't smoke or drink but i do not mind people who do being around me.. Am cool headed and easy going person I have no boyfriend because i am a very busy lady only dedicated to my work. I like honest,trustworthy and hardworking people while i dislike laziness,messy. Okay.

I will be making a payment for first month rent to move in before my arrival. I'll be so happy if you can reserve the place for me because i'm so much interested in renting the place. My financier will be responsible for all the fees and the payment will be US Check , paying my rent would not be a burden to me. I will need the following information so that the payment can be sent out to you soon. I will need your

- Your full name as it will appear on the US check ,
- Your address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular
mails or a courier service this week,
- Your phone number to keep contact close and avoid package missing in
transit.

Kindly get back to me with this requested information so that the rent can be made to you on time.

Anxiously waiting for your response.

Have a pleasant day.

Mary
Advertisement

#210887 by Catfish Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:49 pm
Recently got an email from this person. Changed up the message a bit.
Definitely a scam.

"Hi,

How are you doing?. I am extremely interested..I just want you to know little about me. I am 24 years old and i am coming for a job. I am coming from Rhode Island. I hold a degree in National College of Art And Design In Nicosia, Cyprus. I have also worked as an Exhibition Instructor at the Cyprus Museum of Natural History. I'm real fun person &hard working clean and quite person and easy going and respected My laugh is soft and contagious. I love cooking. My addiction is to taking photographs of people,Places and things has re-surfaced and put into Art work. I love traveling, sporting and enjoy meeting people. I don't smoke or drink but i do not mind people who do being around me..I don't have any pets. Am cool headed and easy going person.

My question is:

How much does it cost to get a parking space?

Is utilities included with the rent?

What color is the interior painted?

Rent is due at which date?

When is it available?

What is the final asking price for the rent?

I will making payment down so that you can hold the place for me.. Please, get back to me asap

M M"
#381904 by audeamus Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm
I got one of these too from a "Mary Proud". I was leery but kind of held out to see if it was a scam—should've googled the initial message she sent though, as it's nearly word for word one of the ones posted here. Someone texted me saying that his daughter wanted to rent my room, and that I should text her, so I did and she kept wanting to send me her paycheck, even when I repeatedly told her that I would not be able to cash anything because obviously I'm not THAT dumb. It felt sorta scammy from the beginning but I was hopeful because I really wanna rent this room lol. But when she said she'd include an "extra $50" in the check so that I'd remove the posting, I was like okkk that's it this is def a scam and I've been lying to myself. But i would've NEVER EVER cashed a check or sent her money, just to be clear.

"I love traveling, sporting, and enjoy meeting people. I don't smoke or drink but i do not mind people who do being around me. I don't have any pets. My questions are: Is there a parking space? What color is the interior painted? Rent is due at which date? When is it available? How long is it available for ?? What is the final asking price for the rent? Do you have any furniture or electronic that you want to sell? (table, chair, bed, printer e.t.c)"

Sort of cleverly, she sent those texts as screenshots, perhaps to discourage easy Googling.

Anyway.