Room for Rent and other rental scams
#426124 by Michelle Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 am
Simon Barker <[email protected]>

Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in Mánatún 17, 105 Reykjavik.
I am the owner of the apartment. I bought the apartment while working in Iceland.
The apartment has 1 bedroom, living room, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 parking place. Is available for long-term, it's in excellent condition, very clean and fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances.
The rent is 122.000ISK per month (bills are included). A security deposit of 122.000ISK is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required).
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Simon Barker and I'm a 58 years old structural engineer and I work for MWH Global Engineering. I worked hard to have a good career and I really respect hard earned money. The company I work for they have projects all around the world so most of my time I'm traveling.
I have a lovely wife, Maria and a 25 year old daughter, Irene. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :).

I would like to know something about you, for example, your occupation, financial situation, monthly income for people who will live in the apartment, how many people will have to live at home and for how long do you plan to stay?

I hope you got a good first impression, and please if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Please see the apartment pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ALrp0ry

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you
Simon

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities

Advertisement

#426127 by Michelle Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 am

This is the apartment on Airbnb: -
Please book the apartment only for the first 30 days through the Airbnb system.
Airbnb will ask you to make the payment within 24 hours from the moment you booked the apartment. If by any reason you will refuse to rent it, I will cancel your booking on Airbnb and you get a full refund.
After you see the apartment, if you decide to rent it, we will do the lease agreement for the period that you want.
If you have any questions, please contact me on Whatsapp +34655089143

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities

#426618 by Michelle Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:25 am

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

You imagine that governing an apartment from abroad is really quite troublesome, especially with a high frequency of guests.

To make sure you understand my proposal correctly:

Step 1: I will provide you with a link to the apartment on Airbnb.
Step 2: You will rent the apartment for 1 month via Airbnb.
Step 3: You will pay the Airbnb invoice. The first month of rent and security deposit.
Step 4: During that month you take a good look at the apartment/neighbors and decide if you want to rent it for long terms.
Step 5: In case you do not want to take it, we cancel the booking and get the money refund it. If you don`t like the apartment Airbnb will be sending the money back to you.
Step 6: In case you want to take it, we will sign a standard rental contract. Long term rental.

My intention is to prevent travelling to Iceland for a potential tenant who in fact is not interested and makes my come for nothing!

If everything sounds good, please send me the details I asked for in the previous email.

Warm regards,
Simon