Room for Rent and other rental scams
#32402 by Michelle Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm
To: Michelle
Subject: RE: 2 bedroom apartment to rent: 8 Old Hall Street, Liverpool City Centre
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010

Hi,
Thanks for your interest to e-mail me, the rent is 400£ per month including all bills and the concil tax. I know that the price is low but i don`t rent my flat only for money, i need someone to be very clean and take care of my flat. I moved in Madrid,Spain because I got a new job. I work in a hospital and the flat is empty and that is the reason that I want to rent it. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay even for 2 or 3 years. The first payment will be for 2 months (800£). In case you want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction. For me is very hard to come in Uk and if I will come i must be 100% sure that I will not come for nothing. As you can see in the photos everything it's new in the flat and the flat is fully furnished, newly refurbished and also benefits from wood flooring. You have internet connection, phone, washing machine with dryer, cable TV and most important parking place. Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?how many people would be living in it and some other things you feel i should know.
Cheers

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement