Room for Rent and other rental scams
#32444 by Michelle Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:26 am
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:29:15 -0700
Subject: RE: Great two bedroom home
To: Michelle

Hello Michelle,

We have go through the your application form that you filled and everything is okay by us, well we just want you to know that you can live there as long as you want, also you can move out anytime you want.But you just need to inform us a month before you leave, so that i can be able to look for another good tenant like you do. We are very exited and willing to let you we move in our house as soon as possible and i have conclude with my family on accepting payment for the first month payment is $600 and a security deposit of $600 the total of $1,200 to move in as soon as you are ready. The package containing the keys and documentations will be delivered to you within 24hours through Courier Service to the address that you have provided when filling the lease application you after your deposit is confirmed here. Here are the contents of the document..

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent house form
3)The house documentary file.

I will since you say that you are ready to move in now i will ask my son to park all the keys and documents together so that parcel can be shipped immediately.. We have make inquiries on how you can get the deposit to us and we was told that Money Transfer Facilities is the best way, also I will like Western Union Money Transfer, that will be better, I will advise you to pay now so that you can have all the keys and paperwork and moving! So get back to me and i will give you the information you will use to send the money to me you can allso call me on this number +2347042337213 or 011-234-704-233-7213

Thanks and i hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement