Room for Rent and other rental scams
#32881 by Michelle Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:55 am
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 03:40:33 +0100
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: LARGE AND SUNNY AIRY 1 BEDROOM FLAT FOR RENT IN ABERDEEN
To: Michelle

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness to hear from you.I am Anderson Samuel,the owner of the flat you are making inquiry of.Actually I resided in the flat with my family,presently we moved away due to my transfer from my working place,my flat is Located in 32 Holburn Rd,Aberdeen, Aberdeen City AB10 6, UK and presently my flat is still available for rent for £300 Per Month including the utilities like water,washer and security,it is furnished.More so Now, I went for a Crusade in the West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in the states for more discussion as She is with the keys and the documents to the flat,she's in the states due to am not around and she had to go for a Christian mission with our only daughter, you get in touch with her she will let you know all things about the flat.Please i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also i spent a lot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this flat and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.I do that once in a while.I want have trust in you as i always stand by my words.Where are you located? let us know how soon you are willing to move in.Email my wife Sophia,on ([email protected]) and she will attend to you better.

Thanks for your interest.
Anderson Samuel.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement