Room for Rent and other rental scams
#251151 by CatLady23 Thu May 14, 2015 5:01 pm
Hello,

I'm having tons of anxiety because I accidently sent information to a rental scammer as I was not thinking. I'm just wondering what he'll be able to do with the info I provided.

I gave him my full name, address, age(but not birthdate), phone number, marital status, and a basic headshot. He has none of my financial info or SS, but I am still panicking. Can someone place my mind at ease?? Can he do anything with this info? What precautions can I take to counter what I've done?

Thank you!
Advertisement

#251152 by HillBilly Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 pm
please post the rental scammers email address, a link to the fake ad, and any other information you may have about him, removing your own personal information first.

Chances are good your scammer is not sophisticated enough to steal your ID, they only wanted your money. He might try to impersonate you, but keep in mind, impersonate is not the same as Identity theft.

You should create some "Google alerts" for all of the personal information given to these scammers. Go to http://www.google.com/alerts and set up one each for "address" "bldg #, street name" "Drivers license #" "SSN" "FirstName LastName" and "LastName FirstName", and what ever other data you have given.

use the quotes " " as above for each one of the alerts they set up with Google. It is not likely the ID will be compromised, but I think its better to err on the side of safe, rather than sorry in this case. If the alerts ever show results, address them at that time.

If it is a passport # then contact homeland security ( Department of State) and report it compromised to be issued a new passport #.

#251156 by CatLady23 Thu May 14, 2015 5:41 pm
Thanks for the response! After a little research myself, I figured out that this was a version of a Nigerian Rental Scam, so hopefully as you said-they were only after my money. I have created the alerts you mentioned, and so far am clear. Will never fall for that again, live and learn I suppose.

Also I do know that his fake name was David Butt. His email was [email protected] . The online ad for the fake rental has been removed.
#251163 by Bryon Williams Thu May 14, 2015 6:20 pm
Hello,

Please post the emails the scammer sent you along with the email headers. Remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/