Room for Rent and other rental scams
#251571 by smultronstaelle Tue May 19, 2015 12:32 am
I make an account on roomster.com, looking for an apartment in Seattle. Someone texted me from (305)699-6177 asking if I was still looking for an apartment and subsequently sent me this email:

"My Apt located at1645 E 10th Ave #203, Seattle, WA 98102 $700/month and $350 security deposit which shall be refund to you at the end of your rent. Large walk in closet off living space. Unit is carpeted, prefer no cats or dogs. Unit is a located in the basement. Laundry on-site and controlled-access, Street parking only. This is a classic 1923, 3 story, 14 unit apartment building. Pictures are of a like unit. All new appliances, including with fridge & freezer, washing machine, toaster, oven, kettle, electric stove, WiFi high speed internet, TV, DVD-player. It has a Private bathtub/shower the local area benefits from many conveniences such as supermarkets, great local cafes and restaurants along with an array of other shops which is ideally location. Perfect location to walk, bike or bus downtown/South Lake Union. I attached the pictures of the room for you and do get back to me soon if you are interested so we can proceed." Along with some pictures of a very nice apartment.

After emailing a few times, I realize $700 is just too good to be true, especially when the renter is "too busy to meet in person". A quick google of their email landed me here-- apparently the same email tried to do an au pair scam. I tracked the ip and it originated in Nigeria....
Advertisement

#251572 by CumminsDslPwr Tue May 19, 2015 12:46 am
Welcome to Scam Warners smultronstaelle.
Thank you for taking the time to report this scam so that others can be made aware also.
Would you please copy & paste the complete email headers here, with your personal info removed.
The info may help others also.
Thank you.

For The Bots PH 305-699-6177

In God We Trust, All Others Must Pay Cash