Room for Rent and other rental scams
#253705 by Mandarinka Sun May 31, 2015 7:17 am
Omg, the same is with me. Now this guy is Jeremy Novel and he never bothered to change his phone or the story. Here is his email:

"Thanks so much for getting back to me, am so happy to hear from you that you are interested in renting my apartment.Below is the information you need to know about my apartment:
My apartment is well furnished and fully decorated with a lot of house and kitchen equipment such as:Wireless internet facilities, Television, Phone, Microwave, Dish washer, washing machine, Dryer, Refrigerator,Bedroom, Bathroom, Toilet,Living room, kitchen, utility room, parking space, dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, fridge, stove, oven and coffee maker.The bills of all the utilities is included in the rent amount.The apartment spacious is about 65sqm and a room is about 30sqm, restaurant and public transport all around and it's few mins walking distance to the supermarket, so it's located in a very nice and safe area in Antwerp.
Flat address: (Draakstraat 26 2018 Antwerpen Belgium).Its on the first floor of the building
Rent per month: 400EUR with the utilities such as: Wireless internet facilities, Television, Phone, gas, parking space etc.
Security deposit : 500EUR which will be giving back to you when moving out without any loss or damage of my property
Size: My apartment is two bedroom apartment, am willing to rent out one bedroom and i will be using the other bedroom whenever am around.
But presently am not available in Antwerpen to show you around as am presently in United Kingdom now to work with my company and am here with my keys.All you need to do is to go straight to the address i sent you to take a look of the apartment from outside. But i want you to Understand that my apartment is presently locked and am here with the keys.That is the reason why i sent you my apartment pictures just for you to have an idea of how the inside looks like.it is available for short term and long term basis depend on how long you want it because am going to be here for one years and i don't want my apartment to be dusty .That is the reason why i want to rent out this apartment so that you can take good care of the apartment for me in my absence.
Attached are some pictures of how my apartment Bedroom, living room, kitchen, toilet and bathroom looks like.That is the information you need to know about my apartment.If you are interested in renting my apartment Kindly get back to me...Here is my uk mobile number +447821961768 "
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Split Post
Advertisement

#253714 by Mandarinka Sun May 31, 2015 7:49 am
So, and he also tried to make me paying the money first:

"For you to get the place reserved we both have to sign my rental agreement contract which is prepared and signed by my solicitor, which is documented with Belgian's law because it is going to stand as guarantee for both of us. After that you will go ahead with your payment which is your first month rent and security deposit. Once your payment is confirmed by me, i will post the keys and the receipt of your payment to you via DHL courier service .it is just 1-2 days delivery and email you the shipping code for you to know when the keys will be deliver to you so that you can have your keys and move into my apartment.
Do get back to me with the below information so that we can proceed further with the rental agreement contract form"

After I told him I was uncomfortable with the payment without seeing the appartment, he suggested to use money gram to transfer money to my friend who lives in UK. The latter reassured me but only untill I googeled his phone number and found this forum...
#253871 by Mandarinka Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm
I was trying to get some information from him as bank account details pretending that I agreed to transfer the money but on the bank account and here is his next answer:

Regarding the security deposit,I have close my account in Antwerp because am not there anymore and i just open another new account that am using here in United Kingdom but the international bank account number(IBAN) has not be giving to me and without the international bank account number i can not receive any international payment only local payment.

Below is the account details:
Bank Name.................Barclay's Bank
Account Name..............Jeremy Lyon Novel
Account Number............50728365
sort code..................207070
Noted (BW)

But Without the IBAN (International Bank Account Number) transfer can not be done.
I suggest we make use of money gram transfer for the security deposit now and the first month payment will be paid to my account later when i receive the iban from my bank....All you need to do is to Locate a money gram outlet inside bank or store, take cash to any money gram outlet, tell them you want to send money via money gram Money Transfer, fill the information below on the money gram Transfer form below is the name and address.
Name: Jeremy Lyon Novel
Address:1 Royal College St London Borough of Camden, London NW1
Kindly get back to me with the senders name, senders address, and the 8 digits MTCN( money transfer control number). You can also send me a scanned copy of the payment receipt from money gram. Once i get the information from you today, i will go ahead with the posting of the keys today and also send you the shipment code . I wish you a very happy stay in my apartment.
I shall be waiting for the signed contract and the payment receipt from money gram.
Regards
Jeremy
#253872 by Bryon Williams Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:42 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Make sure in any rental that you can physically go inside the property and meet the landlord face to face.

Scammers will tell you to wire money to yourself, friend or family members. He knows that he can pick up the money himself.

They sometimes will have you do a bank transfer. He may even try to get you to do a Pre-paid reload card.

Please stop all contact with the scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/