Room for Rent and other rental scams
#261163 by Michelle Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 pm
Date: July 22 2015 03:42:35

Good to read from you on your interest on my apartment, which i am leasing out for rent

The apartment is still very much available for rent. Just to give you a little low down about the apartment and myself. I am a female Singaporean. I recently relocated to Italy to permanently live with my fiance. And we are also about getting married in less than two months. I work as a PR consultant for an NGO which advocates for animal and environmental conservation here in Milan, Italy. I inherited the flat from my late father, as being is his child. He was actually residing there only, until his death with colon cancer. Which is why i am offering the flat for lease.

The rent rate is CAD700 monthly for whole flat. Which i also think is fair enough considering the location. I just need someone with an open heart, love and clean to occupy the apartment and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment for now.

The flat comprises of one Bedroom, large bathroom, Nice Lounge with dinning, Well Fitted Kitchen, Excellent Decorative Order, washing machine in the Suit.

Just to let you know, the keys are right here with me. But there wouldn't be any problem with that. As it can be posted to you, after all necessary agreement has be reached and signed into lease. If you are satisfied with the lease agreement. . Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really an issue here , but your absolute maintenance of the apartment, because it is good to keep the property in good condition, just for the memories of my father. Who committed so much putting those facilities in place, so i wouldn't want an violation of my property if finally rented by you.

Address: Bay Wellesley, 1001 Bay Street, Toronto, ON M5S 3A6, Canada. The rent is only inclusive of the building management fee. As for the utility bills, there are not included on the rent, and also no outstanding bills. So you be paying the bills and starting the lease with a clean slate. The minimum lease term is 2 months, and a maximum of 2 years with a possibility of extension.

Kind Regards,
Sim

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#261177 by Michelle Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:39 pm
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:44:00 +0100
Subject: Re: Clean and comfortable, one bedroom apartment
To:Michelle Banks

Hello ,

Thanks so much for your warm response.

Obviously i can understand your point regarding the viewing of the flat and meeting before reaching an agreement. But unfortunately, that would not be possible for now. As the keys are with me. I am so much committed to my new job over here and our wedding preparation. And the security and management will not allow your access into the unit for security reasons. So to avoid any embarrassment or inconvenience. I would suggest for now, if you don't mind. You go over and visit the building location and neighborhood to determine your interest. So as to have an idea of the location and living condition. As i do know your worries and reservations at this point, since i am not presently available to meet with you in person and show you the flat. Although you can understand, i was suppose to lock up the flat since there was no one presently occupying the flat after my late father passed away. And moreover, i never had any intention of renting out the flat. It was my fiance who recently advise i should lease out the flat, which was a good idea. Just for someone to occupy the place with good up keep. And often send me feed backs regarding the state of the flat,. Just to put off my worries.

Let me know what to you feel. If you are still interested in renting the property off me. So i could send you my rental application form, to start up with the renting process. And if you are successful with acquiring the unit. I can post of the keys and tenancy agreement to you for your inspection and moving in.

Best regards,
Sim

#261639 by valor1906 Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 am
Hi,

I just joined due to receiving an email from this exact user. I have collected a lot of information and I believe I have found the person behind the emails.

Email in this case was: [email protected]

I will reveal further details when I can be sure the victim is safe, however I did forensic analysis of the documents supplied 'Rental Application Form' and 'Tenancy Lease Rental Agreement' and found the names of the document authors.

I did some research and found the name on facebook, a long with the same phone number that was used to call the victim.

I would love to discuss this more with you, I believe we have a real chance of catching this guy.

Kindest Regards,
#263180 by Michelle Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Subject: Re:
To: Michelle Banks
Cc:

Hello Michelle

Sorry you have to comply with the rent and deposit. As i will be including receipt for the rent and deposit in the shipment. I am not trying to make this difficult for you. But i also want this agreement to bring a good experience and relationship between us. And attached is my passport ID.

I have received the shipping details. I have already made an inquiry with one of the DHL Post center here. They said, it would take 2-3 working days for the delivery. As they don't operate on Sundays. Opening hours are Mon-Sat 08:00-20:00. I will be going about documenting the hard copy and proceed with the shipping by tomorrow morning on my way to work. I will keep you posted with details of the delivery, so you could follow it up from there. And know when to await the delivery. I also await the transfer for the one month refundable deposit and rent.

As for my bank details. There are so much difficulties attach with international online banking transfer with reference to approval, clearance, and verification. This was due to my previous experience. As advised, you can transfer the one months deposit and rent. Through an international moneygram money transfer service, which is also quite a secure way to transfer money at distances. And after this first transaction. I will open a separate bank account over here as an alternative for the monthly rent. If it is more convenient for you. And i hope it suit's you. As i am sending the keys so you could have enough time to move into the apartment, do some clean up also take down the list of inventories. Then you can lock up the apartment until your moving in date. And we can still renew the contract after the first lease period on your application.

Regarding the transfer. I would leaving my details. So we could pick up the fund at any moneygram office over here at my convenient time. And kindly not disclose to moneygram the transfer is for rental purposes. As they don't accept payment for business purpose. So i advise. You indicate the transfer is to a family. And do understand once we reach an agreement. You are not only my tenant, but also a member of my family. Which is the relationship i want to grow between us. Hope to hear from you soon.

Name: Sim Lay Yong Selin
Address: via Felice Casati 42, 20124 Milan, Italy

Regards,
Sim

#266975 by syedabdul_5 Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:27 am
Thank you very much for saving me.
I was halfway there and trusted this person and sent my details.
Had a doubt and searched the name online and found this warner.
Thanks a lot.
#267017 by Michelle Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 pm
@syedabdul_5

If the only details that you have divulged are very basic, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers, there is nothing to worry about,. This Scammer is trying his scheme with so many people you will soon become forgotten about unless you continue to write to him.