Room for Rent and other rental scams
#262764 by Michelle Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:18 am
Sent: 04 August 2015 11:54 PM
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: 2 Bedroom Apartment in Sandown,138 Grayston Dr Sandton, 2031, South Africa - Free Property Ads

Thanks for the email and it is my gladness hearing from you Mrs mary my name. I am the owner of the apartment you are doing research. Actually I resided in the apartment with my family, as my husband and my only daughter before and had actually packed due to my transfer from my working place in a Christian missionary work, and presently my apartment is still available for rent Including utilities like hydro, washer and security, is furnished but if you move in your furniture without any problems so money is not important but I want you to keep it tidy all the time so I'll be happy to see how clean when I come for a checkup.

So if you are really interested renting my apartment i want you to fill the application form below.

Also, Pls let me get this answer.

NAME: __________________
MIDDLE NAME: _________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
POSITION: __________
Home Phone (____) __________
(CELL) Phone (____) __________
(WORK) Phone (____) __________
KIDS_____ (YES / NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE: ______________
SEX ____________
TENANT PICTURE____________
How long does it intend to stay? ____________
CURRENT RENTAL PAYMENT: ____________
WHEN Do you intend to move in? ______________
DO YOU HAVE A PET: _____________
NAME OF PET: _____________
RATE INCOME IS AVAILABLE? ______________
REASON FOR MOVING OUT? ______________
TYPE OF PETS: _____________
Do you smoke? ______________
Do you drink? _____________

Kindly get back to me as soon as you with all the necessary information once you are done. i confirm via an email hopefully to hear from you soonest stay bless

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement