Room for Rent and other rental scams
#264499 by DMM Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:00 pm
I posted an ad on CL for temporary housing in an area centrally located between several college/universities. I asked to only be contacted by phone. I received a txt at 6:40am asking for an email so they could ask questions. I sent an email giving some information about myself and the property. Haven't heard back from them yet but when I noticed it wasn't a local area code I googled the number and this site came up. (213)537-9718 "Hi is the sublet still available? Please email me at [email protected] so that I can respond with questions.
Advertisement

#264515 by Tim Atem Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:59 pm
It is probably a scam - the phone number is a Google Voice number in Los Angeles that could be forwarded anywhere. They don't call because they have an accent. If you requested to be contacted by phone only, then legitimate tenants would call, not text and request to do everything through the email. The scammers that email you will tell you that they are sending you a check for the rent plus extra and then have you send any overpayment to their mover/courier/banker/lawyer - whomever. The check will turn out to be fake and you will be left holding the bag.

Only deal with people you can talk to and meet.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#266850 by keanuvernon Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:59 pm
Same here she or he will try to convince you that theyou are very interested and are flush with money but when you look up the number they use to communicate it's through an online texting service. They will also give great detail about their profile and life to make you assume they are real [email protected] was very good at her craft but thanks to reverse lookup and scamwa Rees I was protected