Room for Rent and other rental scams
#268705 by Michelle Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 am
, < [email protected]> wrote:
Hello ,

After analyzing all the applications together with my wife, we decided that you would be suitable to rent our apartment. You seem to be a reliable person and i will be glad to have you in my apartment (after viewing and if your decision is positive) .

I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
1 - To start the viewing process all I need is your full info(full name, address) .
2 - I will go to the UPS Global Property office to drop off the keys and documents of the house, along with the rental contract.
3 - UPS Global Property will check the documents to make sure I'm the actual owner of the flat, then, they will send you the invoice agreement where you will find all the details about our mutual agreement (via e-mail).
4 - After the rental company will send you the invoice, you’ll have to transfer the payment for the first month and the security month to UPS Global Property, according to the instructions from the invoice. This will be a guarantee that our agreement is mutual and legal. The deposit will be just a formality, and it will not commit you to rent my apartment.

The payment will remain in the custody of UPS Global Property until you will check the apartment and move in .After you will pay the deposit, and send them the details, UPS Global Property will send an agent to your registered address in the next 24-48 hours and will deliver you the keys personally . Also the UPS Global Property agent who will make the delivery will help you to inspect my apartment and sign the official documents .
You can also decide which date and time will fit your schedule best for the inspection.

5 – If you will be satisfied about my apartment, you will sign the contract and you will be able to move in when you desire . However, if you are not pleased with the apartment for any reason, the UPS Global Property agent will give you the payment back on the spot, and I will get my keys and documents back.I want to inform you that UPS Global Property will hold your payment until you will confirm that you like my apartment and you want to rent it.

I will pay for the services of the agency, so there will be no extra costs for you.

Now i will wait your decision .

Thank you,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement