Room for Rent and other rental scams
#268779 by Michelle Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 am
Date: Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Subject: Apartment Inquiry
To:

Hello,

I am very happy to inform you that the apartment is still very much available for rent, my intention is to give out the apartment to a Reliable and Responsible person that would be able to take proper care of the apartment.

It’s indeed a lovely and comfortable home and available to move in as soon as possible.

Per Month: $780 (Including Utilities)
Security / Deposit: $550 (Refundable)
APARTMENT FEATURES:
1 Large Bedroom
1 Bath
High Ceilings
Stainless Steel Appliances
Hardwood Floors
Full Kitchen and Bath
Brand New Cabinets, Electric Cooker, dish washer & Refrigerator

Address: 21-24 Newtown Ave Queens, NY 11102

I would like you to know that i am giving this apartment out for rent because i relocated to West Africa for work,i am an oil rig engineer with Chevron Oil and it will last for couple of years before i will be done with my assignment here,this is not a sub lease,i own the apartment.

Please fill application form below :
=============================
RENT APPLICATION FORM
FIRST NAME:_________
MIDDLE NAME: _________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
MARITAL STATUS____________
TIME ON YOUR JOB:______
PHONE NUMBERS
(CELL)PHONE _____
(WORK)PHONE ____
(HOME)PHONE _____
KIDS ___ (YES/NO), HOW MANY _____
PRESENT ADDRESS: ____
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? _______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ________
IF YOU HAVE A PET?_____-
DO YOU SMOKE? ______________
DO YOU DRINK? _________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____
=============================

I would like you to know that you are free to contact me at any time.
After I receive these details, I would get back to you as soon as possible, and then let you know my terms.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Stay Blessed,
Mark Grayson.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#353327 by Bryon Williams Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm
Subject: Re: Williamsburg 1 BR Listing on Craigslist

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry about our apartment,kindly note that this is not a sub-lease and we are not realtors,we own the apartment and if we finally agree to rent to you it will be a lease coming in your name.

We are renting the apartment out because my wife has recently taken up a new position at her work place that requires we move to Nigeria,West Africa for the next few years (4 years at least),and since the apartment will be unoccupied for that entire time we have decided to rent it out in to someone who will also act as a caretaker for the apartment hence our not using a realtor agency and charging a significantly lower rent than apartments in the same neighbourhood,we want to be able to personally hand pick whoever will be staying in the apartment.

The monthly rent is $750 and security deposit which is refundable is also $750,the rent includes utilities.

The apartment is a 1 bedroom 1 bath located at 65 Ainslie St, Brooklyn, NY 11211 and is currently unfurnished as we had all our stuff moved to storage,it is renovated,cable and internet ready with hardwood floors and is ready for immediate move-in.

Also please know that the keys to the apartment are here with us in Nigeria and we will need to ship it via Fedex (this takes 72 hours) to you upon agreement that we will be renting to you.

We shall be sending along with the keys the lease agreement and letter of authorisation for occupancy.

Please send in the following information about yourself so that we can decide if you are a great fit.

*Your full name

*Your occupation.

*Your age.

*Current residential address.

*Cell phone number.

*How long have you been on your job.

*Do you own a pet.

After we receive these details, we will get back to you as soon as possible on our decision.

Please note because the keys are here with us in Nigeria you will be unable to view the apartment until we ship the keys to you.

Regards,

Mark and Hannah Grayson.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/