Room for Rent and other rental scams
#270622 by Michelle Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:17 am
Raymond J <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for your response to my ad. The apartment is one bedroom flat and below is the details of the flat before we proceed.

Flat description: The apartment itself is beautifully/highly finished and is fully furnished with TV/Sky, washing machine/tumble dryer, fridge/freezer, kitchenware and all household utilities needed day to day. The main Hall leads to the room, 1 bathroom en suite, Kitchen/Lounge and two storage cupboards. All bills are included (TV license, Water, Electricity, Council Tax, internet, Sky TV) so there is no need to worry about any additional expenses or having to pay bills.

Arena View is situated on Edward Street next to the NIA. A minute’s walk down the road and you are in Brindley Place where you will find a number of nice restaurants and bars. Broad Street is a 5 minute walk through Brindley Place and New Street station and The Mailbox a 10 minute walk away. This is a perfect location for the city centre worker.

Sorry no DSS Also please note there is no allocated parking space; however parking spaces are available nearby.

Flat address: Edward Street Birmingham, West Midlands B1 2RX and the rent is £400 per month all bills inclusive (security deposit of £550) which is refundable after end of contract and we offer minimum stay of 1 month and maximum stay 1 yr with the option of extending the contract after 12 months.

Flat amenities: TV ,CD - DVD - Video,Radio,High-speed Internet with WiFi,Washing, Electric
Kettle,Toaster,Dishwasher,Refrigerator,Machine ,dryer, Heating, iron and Ironing board,Gas cooker,oven,Microwave e.t.c

About the Apartment:
* Modern Apartment.
* Fully furnished.
* 1 Bedroom.
* 1 Modern bathroom.
* Modern kitchen.
* Climate controlled air conditioning.
* Internal laundry and dryer.
* Lots of storage space.
* Peaceful and quiet.
* Immaculately clean and tidy

The pictures of the flat are hereby attached with this email and will you be able to take good care of my flat like your own?. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Raymond and Lynn

Raymond J <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

Am a live out landlord and am free to meet with you on Saturday, But I have been receiving several mails lately from candidates whom are also showing interest to rent the apartment, But since you are among the very first four people to contact me I'll strongly advice maybe you should have the apartment reserved pending our meeting and this simply means you will need to read/sign the rental agreement contract form which I'll scan and email to you while a down payment (security deposit 550GBP) will be made in other to finalize the contract and reserve the apartment for nobody but YOU... As i only deal on first come first serve basis!! The apartment is as exact the pictures i sent to you and also i can attached you with a copy of my passport ID for your security preference before making the deposit.

Please note the security deposit is refundable should in case there's any changes made before or after viewing the apartment. Looking forward to hear from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#270974 by external Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm
Got a similar email, from [email protected]

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in my flat. The flat is 2 bedroom flat but I currently have one room available. Below is the little details about the flat.

Flat address: Richmond Grove, Islington, London
Post Code: N1 2D
Rent: £560 per month,all bills included for a room
Security deposit:£600 refundable after four weeks in the flat.
Minimum stay: 1 month
Maximum stay: 1 year with option of extending the contract

Flat amenities:TV ,CD - DVD - Video,Radio,High-speed Internet with WiFi,Washing Machine ,dryer, Heating, iron and Ironing board,Gas cooker,oven, Electric Kettle, Toaster ,Dishwasher ,Refrigerator, Microwave e.t.c

The pictures of the flat are hereby attached with this email.

5 mins walk to Highbury and islington and 10 mins walk to Angel. There is also a bus stop out right out side.
Upper st is packed with cool bars, restaurants and shops and we find if we are not careful we never get closer to central London than Angel as everything is on our doorstep!

Could you tell me a bit about yourself and where you are presently located now?

Will you be able to take good care of my flat like your own?

Are you capable of funding the rent and refundable deposit before moving in?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,
Lucy.

The same passport used, albeit with different name.
Also, the bank details used by the scammer are:

Sort Code:163331
Account number: 10866401
Bank: RBS