Room for Rent and other rental scams
#270828 by Michelle Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 am
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re: apartment craigslist

Hello,

The apartment is still available.
As you can see from the pictures is in excellent condition, very clean and very well kept. Is the first time I'm renting this apartment and I'm trying to find a responsible tenant to take good care of the place. You can use my furniture if you want and everything from the apartment otherwise you can deposit it in the storage unit that is near the building not far away. Of course I will cover the costs for movers.

Note that the apartment is a private property, already paid in full and NO mortgage on it. I bought this apartment for my older son during his studies practice in Kuwait, but now he’s back in England permanently and this is why i decided to rent it. The surrounding area is great. Schools and groceries near-by. I'm sure you will have everything that you need there because is one of the most important areas in the city. Pets are allowed in the building.

Now about me: I'm a structural engineer from London United Kingdom , I'm 45 years old, married, with 2 children. I worked hard to have a good career and I really respect hard earned money.My name is Peter Oxley. Unfortunately, my job doesn’t allow me to do any travel for the next few months, so I will not be able to come and meet you personally for a while. However, I hope this issues won’t affect the rental at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from London (on my expense of course). I hope the email wasn’t too long, I just like to be as thorough as possible.

Best regards,

To: Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: apartment craigslist

Hello again,
Thank you for answer me so fast. First of all let me tell you about the monthly rent price :

The price for one month of rent is 225 kwd including all the utilities costs ( water, electricity, Internet, cable TV, parking space,maintenance) .Of course I would need one warranty month as well of 225 kwd, which you would get back when you will leave the apartment(you will have to give me at least 30 days notice).

Everything in the apartment is new or renovated so there is no need for repairs but just in case I will cover the costs.

I am not interested to make a lot of money from the rent as I am interested to find a tenant that will take good care of my property.I wish to rent my apartment to some nice and responsible people. You should also know that I appreciate sincerity very much.
Because I didn’t had time to find a trustworthy person, don’t have any friends in the area to send the keys, I found an alternate solution . In order to close the agreement safe for the both of us I found a real estate company who will handle your payment ,the keys, the contract and the apartment documents . Is an international company called UPS Global Property ( I think you heard about them) . This is the agency website : http://www.ups.com/europe/gb/engindex.html

They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the keys plus the official documents. With this procedure you will be able to view my apartment without any obligations to rent it. This process will take maximum 2-3 days. To avoid any misunderstanding i will be gladly to explain you step by step how the viewing procedure work through UPS Property if you are interested.
Looking forward to receive your answer.
Thank you

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement