Room for Rent and other rental scams
#271964 by ashgate Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:48 pm
Hi there - I replied to a post in a Facebook group dedicated to room and apt rentals in Madrid, the post was made by a man who claims to be an American who owns an apt in Madrid and is renting by rooms. When I messaged him privately he said that he is a contractor currently working in the UK and then plans to retire back to the US. The rental will be managed by his lawyer. The keys are with him in the UK and will be mailed to the renter after signing the contract and transferring first month rent and deposit. He gave me the apt's address and sent me photos (looks like an amazing flat, too good to be true), but said there is no way to get in and see it since he had the keys in the UK. He also rushed me and said others are interested so I have to decide quickly. And he also said his lawyer is away on a seminar so I should just send him the information and he will ask his lawyer to prepare the contract. When I asked what's the name of the lawyer he stopped answering. His Facebook profile was created this year and all I can see are two photos, no friends or posts on timeline. So, is this a scam?
Advertisement

#271965 by AlanJones Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:56 pm
It's a definite scam. Anyone who is serious about renting out their property would make sure that there was some way for prospective tenants to view the inside without paying any money to anyone first. If you can't view without paying a deposit or fee then just walk away as it's guaranteed to be a scam.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.