Room for Rent and other rental scams
#35392 by Michelle Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:58 pm
To: Michelle
Subject: RE:
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:27:18 +0000

Hello. My asking price is GBP 600 per month + bills and council taxes estimated at GBP 100 . I am requesting only 1 month of rent as deposit (GBP 700).
The apartment is very clean and I want to rent it to someone who will be careful and thoughtful.
Just to mention few, it includes:
Central Heating, Refrigerator, Ironing Board, Good wireless internet Connection, Washing machine, Dishwasher, Microwave Oven, Television with Built-in DVD Player, Coffee Maker, Double Sofabed in Sitting Room, Dining Area, Hairdryer, Internet connection, phone, washing machine with dryer, cable TV and most important a parking place.
I am working in Spain and I am here with my family. For viewing the best would be to reach an agreement and fix a date when I came back in country.
As beeing very busy with my work, time is very important for me, in conclusion no free time to waste. Before booking my plane tickets I would like to be certain about your rent intentions.
If there are any questions please feel free and ask me.
I would also like to know how many persons will occupy the apartment and for how long would like to sign the rent contract. (any pets? cats or dogs?)
Waiting for your response

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary

Advertisement