Room for Rent and other rental scams
#35409 by Michelle Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 am
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 02:33:24 -0700
Subject: Re: 3 Bed, 2 Bath Lovely Home For Rent @ 202 Superior Dothan, AL 36301
To: Michelle

Thanks for the mail.The house is still available for rent.I would love to show you round the place and the inside, but sorry we are presently out of town and am with the keys.I am one of the coordinator (UNITED STATE MISSIONARY ORGANIZATION) and decided to rent/lease our property because i have been posted to(Benin) by the United State Christian Organization for (Worldwide Missionary Outreach). We are now in Benin for the Missionary work. I had a thought of selling the house and later changed my mind to rent it out for investment purpose since we are still coming back some times three years or more. So i have ordered them to stop all advertisement and remove it from the market about the home for sale and that will be effective ASAP. So i wouldn't want that to boarder you at all. We could not find an agent to handle the place before leaving so i and my family decided to post the advert online. Here is our rental application form that you will have to fill if you are still interested as you said in renting the house.

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM
TENANT'S PERSONAL INFORMATION
full Name:/Marital Statures:/Sex:/Age:/Occupation:/Move in Date:/Present address:/Phone number;/WHY ARE YOU LEAVING:/ so that the terms and conditions can be bothly

Rent for HOUSE:
Price per month.... .. $380 per month
Bond Deposit:...........$350

BOND DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE
Thanks and Remain Blessed.
Rev. NORRIS

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement