Room for Rent and other rental scams
#35410 by Michelle Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:10 am
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:38:23 +0000
Subject: Picture of the apartment and location
To: Michelle

Thanks for response updated,you really sound great.... never mind i can reserve the room for you till your arrival date and .I will like to know where you are from and when you will be coming to the flat ? Am confidently assuring you that you will be more than satisfied when you come into the flat while you will have your private bathroom . I attached the picture of the apartment for viewing.

My name is Malleville Adrien 21 years old male, Originally from France , the, the apartment belongs to my late father and my mother have been managing and maintaining the apartment,but she is presently in Belfast due to her work,and i also work in a calling center..Apartment is very close to city center, public transportation and supermarket

The exact address is : Lepelstraat 23 1018 WB Amsterdam, Netherlands

The lease ll be -€300/per month/per Room including the utilities,fridge-freezer,oven, washing machine, dryer, gas cooker,microwave, dishwasher, electricity bill, Internet charges and others bills.---€600 for the security deposit which is refundable during the departure time from the room. since there is a perfect procedure that we both have to undergo before you can proceed with the payment.

However If you really have interest in renting the room just let me have this request below

-FULL NAME,
-YOUR EXACT ARRIVAL DATE,
-YOUR DEPARTURE DATE,
-YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS
-SCANNED COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT ID,

So that i can quickly instruct our family lawyer to prepare the tenant agreement form for you to be assure that you are dealing with the right person and to see the terms and condition of the contract and if you are okay with the terms and condition then you can proceed with the one month rent and security deposit to my mother in United Kingdom Via western union money transfer so that the room can be reserve for you till your arrival date because there are a lot of people that also have interest in renting the room,but my mother prefer the most serious person who pay her first.

The signed agreement form will be send to you first through attached mail(with the scanned page of my international passport).for you to read and understand,after which you will proceed with the payment ,i 'll now send you the original copy through a registered courier to your address for you to sign and bring along with you when moving in. I will like to know where you are from and when you will be coming to the flat ? Am confidently assuring you that you will be more than satisfied when you come into the flat while you will have your private bathroom . I attached the picture of the apartment for viewing.

Let me hear from you asap if you really have interest in renting the room,

Best Regards,
Malleville

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#35568 by JosephNJesse Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 am
My boyfriend and I are actually dealing with an [email protected] who replied to our post about needing an apartment in Santa Cruz. We then asked for references an he gave us his former tenant [email protected]. He sent us a copy of his Passport and a Certificate of Ownership for the house he received due to his father recently passing away. He also sent us a lease from his family lawyer.
#35569 by Dotti Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 am
Joseph,

I'm not sure if you believe this other person is real, but what you are saying so far is very consistent with scammer. We would need to see the emails to confirm that, though.

The documents you mention are often faked and frequently used by scammers. Sending a passport scan (which is usually a photoshopped fake) is an extremely common scammer tactic. The fact is, most honest people do not just offer to send scans of their passports to perfect strangers! Giving you a yahoo email address for the reference is also suspicious, as scammers have often been known to do this and simply pretend to be a "friend" at the other email address.

If you are still in contact with this person and believe they might be real, do NOT send any money without thorough investigation. You can post the person's letters here (they will be removed if the person is legitimate.) or send them by pm to a member of our support staff, but I highly encourage you to do one or the other so that we can help you to be safe.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#35571 by Michelle Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:28 am
Hello Joseph.

Just to follow on from Dotti

These Scammers can be quite sophisticated.

Some have several e-mail addresses in order that they can to pretend to be anyone else they like - A Lawyer, former tenant for instance.

Having said that I have no doubt the the e-mail address [email protected] is in use by a Scammer. In the e-mail that he send me (see the original post in this thread) were a series of photographs of 'show house' quality rooms of the property he was pretending to rent.

Photographs that I have seen a hundred times before!!