Room for Rent and other rental scams
#272997 by bobinspin Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:47 pm
Mod note: Op is referring to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=106238

Thank goodness I googled part of the letter I received from this "landlord" before I sent him money.
I received an email identical to the one posted above, this time with the name David Merkley. (email: [email protected]) Posting email text below:

"Good to read from you on your interest on my apartment, which i am leasing out for rent

The apartment is still very much available for rent. Just to give you a little low down about the apartment and myself. I am a male British man. I recently relocated to Utah to permanently live with my wife. And we are also about getting married in less than two months. I work as a PR consultant for an NGO which advocates for animal and environmental conservation here in Utah. I inherited the flat from my late father, as being is his child. He was actually residing there only, until his death with colon cancer. Which is why i am offering the flat for lease.

The rent rate is 700CAD monthly for whole flat. Which i also think is fair enough considering the location. I just need someone with an open heart, love and clean to occupy the apartment and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment for now.

The flat comprises of one Bedroom which Includes central heating and air-conditioning; high speed internet and all utilities like fridge, microwave, toaster, granite counter tops with stainless steel appliances. Big screen TV, Hydro and gas are extra, gym and laundry machines in the building and parking is available.

Just to let you know, the keys are right here with me. But there wouldn't be any problem with that. As it can be posted to you, after all necessary agreement has be reached and signed into lease. If you are satisfied with the lease agreement. . Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really an issue here , but your absolute maintenance of the apartment, because it is good to keep the property in good condition, just for the memories of my father. Who committed so much putting those facilities in place, so i wouldn't want an violation of my property if finally rented by you.

Address: 35 Walmer Rd, Toronto, ON M5R 2X3 The rent is only inclusive of the building management fee. As for the utility bills, they are included on the rent, and also no outstanding bills. So you be paying the bills and starting the lease with a clean slate. The minimum lease term is 2 months, and a maximum of 2 years with a possibility of extension.

Kind Regards,
David."

I responded, and from there he replied with the following emails:

"So good to read from you again.And thanks so much for the warm response. Yes all utilities are included in the monthly rent which includes Hydro+Gas also i think that's fair enough considering the location, all we seek is a reliable person to take care of the unit and keep us posted with up date pics of the flat just to put our mind off worries about the maintance.. For the renting process. Firstly, you have to comply with the application process.

Below is the application form. Do fill it to the best of your knowledge and information available to you. And also indicate your desire moving in date and how long you intend to lease the flat. This is all i require for now. I will get back to you as soon as possible with further instructions with the tenancy document, if i am satisfied with your application."

"Attached here is the lease and agreement form which you would scan out and have signed then sent back to me. I have already made an inquiry with one of the Post center here. They said, it would take 2-3 working days for the delivery. As they don't operate on Sundays. Opening hours are Mon-Sat 08:00-20:00. I will be going about documenting the copy of the signed lease agreement upon receiving it from you and would proceed with the shipping by tomorrow morning on my to work. I will keep you posted with details of the delivery, so you could follow it up from there. And know when to await the delivery.

As for my bank details. There are so much difficulties attach with international online banking transfer with reference to approval, clearance, and verification. This was due to my previous experience. As advised, you can transfer the one months rent. Through an international moneygram money transfer service, which is also quite a secure way to transfer money at distances. And after this first transaction. I will open a separate bank account over here as an alternative for the monthly rent. If it is more convenient for you. So you would be paying your 2nd month rent on the 1st of December. As the 1st of November will be your moving in date. And i hope it suit's you. Which gives you enough time to move in, do some cleaning and also take down the list of inventories.

Regarding the transfer. I would leaving the details of my wife below. So she could pick up the fund at any moneygram office over here. And please, do not disclose to moneygram the transfer is for rental purposes. As they don't accept payment for business purpose. So i advise. You indicate the transfer is to a family. As you can understand once we reach an agreement. You are not only my tenant, but also a member of my family. Which is the relationship i want to grow between us.

Name: Audrey Merkley
Address: Clearfield, Utah

Regards,
David."

We also exchanged some texts, where he avoided telling me what the apartment number would be, and kept pushing for me to send the money, assuring me that everything would be in perfect order. Thankfully I took a look at the apartment and found his name was not listed in the building registry.

Would anyone happen to know what should be my next steps in helping to catch this criminal?
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quotation.
Advertisement

#272999 by Bryon Williams Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:05 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Thank you for the post.

Can you please post the phone number he used to text you?

Stop all contact with scammer. Make sure you visit any rental and able to go inside. Meet the landlord face to face.

The scammer will not be caught. He is using a fake name and a free email address. He is most likely in West Africa.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#274491 by didrid Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 pm
This is happening today in Toronto. The contact numer he called from was from Brooklyn new york, The number was 1 347 802 1665. They are crooks.
#274560 by knath Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:14 am
THANK YOU for starting this thread. I have been speaking to "david" the last couple of days and really thought it was real and too good to be true. I'm so upset that I just got scammed and he sounded so genuine and talked about how the apt belonged to his father who passed away. Another people who I think is the same person, calling from the Brooklyn number is: [email protected], for: 8 Spadina Rd, Toronto, which I think is also a SCAM, so please watch out.

Thanks again for starting this thread - you have saved me. I'm just a little anxious he now has a lot of my details.
#283709 by shadowdood808 Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:33 am
This scammer is still active. This is an email I received from a listing in Denver.

"Good to read from you on your interest on my apartment which i am leasing out for rent. A happy new year of abundant joy and favor from me and my family over here to you and am really sorry for getting back to you this late as this has been due to a very busy start of the new year with work and family over here..

The apartment is still very much available for rent. Just to give you a little low down about the apartment and myself. I recently relocated to Clearfield, Utah to permanently live with my wife. And we are celebrating our anniversary in less than two weeks. I work as a PR consultant for an NGO which advocates for animal and environmental conservation here in Utah. I inherited the unit from my late father, as being is his only child. He was actually residing there only, until his death with colon cancer. Which is why i am offering the unit for lease.

The rent rate is 800USD monthly for whole unit. Which i also think is fair enough considering the location. I just need someone with an open heart, love and clean to occupy the apartment and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the unit for now.

The unit comprises of one Bedroom with hardwood floors in the entry and hallway and a large storage closet. The complex features off-street parking, a swimming pool, and community laundry. its pet friendly and well behaved pets are welcome. Some features of the home are: -1 secure, off-street parking space included -Updated kitchen with black appliances -Full size dishwasher -Central heat and air -Huge windows with wonderful light -Hardwood floor in hall and entry -Beautifully updated bathroom -Ample storage -Swimming pool -Fast, responsive.

Just to let you know, the keys are right here with me. But there wouldn't be any problem with that. As it can be posted to you, after all necessary agreement has be reached and signed into lease. If you are satisfied with the lease agreement. . Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really an issue here , but your absolute maintenance of the apartment, because it is good to keep the property in good condition, just for the memories of my father. Who committed so much putting those facilities in place, so i wouldn't want an violation of my property if finally rented by you.

Address: 1350 Josephine St, Denver, CO 80206. The rent is only inclusive of the building management fee. As for the utility bills, they are included on the rent, and also no outstanding bills. So you be paying the bills and starting the lease with a clean slate. The minimum lease term is 2 months, and a maximum of 2 years with a possibility of extension.

Kind Regards,
Wilson.C.Merkley"

I did reverse image search and nothing came up. But then I did some research into the background story and I found this site. I just wanted you all to be aware that this is still a thing. Too bad, seemed like a good spot.

Cheers,
N

EDIT: The email being used is [email protected]
#284131 by Snowfall Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am
Looks like the scammer is still active. Here's their ad on craigslist:
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/apa/5431071508.html

The email exchanges were almost identical to the post before mine. The new landlord, being the only child of her late father, who passed away from colon cancer, has just moved to Clearfield, Utah. *Please see below email*

Good morning and its good to read from you on your interest on my suit which i am leasing out for rent. How was your night and hope you had a wonderful night rest?

The unit is still very much available for rent. Just to give you a little low down about the apartment and myself. I recently relocated to clearfield, Utah to permanently live with my husband after great thought of starting a new life and family here, we are celebrating our anniversary in less than two weeks. I work as a PR consultant for an NGO which advocates for animal and environmental conservation here in Utah. I inherited the unit from my late father, as being is his only child. He was actually residing there only, until his death with colon cancer. Which is why i am offering the unit for lease.

The rent rate is 1200CAD monthly for whole unit. Which i also think is fair enough considering the location. I just need someone with an open heart, love and clean to occupy the unit and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the unit for now.

The unit comprises of a fully furnished two Bedroom with living/dining w/Sofa, bar chairs, 50" LED TV + TV Unit + More... Extras include: Ss fridge,Stove, B/I microwave, B/I dishwasher, stacked washer/dryer, All upgraded Elf's, custom curtains, granite worktop surface. While building amenities includes: exercise room, Party Room, Games Room, 24 Hr Concierge + More . Fully Furnished, 2 Full Bathrooms, All Elf's, Curtains in Bedrooms, Good Size Balcony W/Views. Master Bedroom W/Queen Bed, Side Tables, En-Suite 4pc Bathroom, Walk-In Closets, Custom Curtains 2nd Bedroom W/Double Bed, Curtains, Large Closet, Walk-Out to Balcony..

Just to let you know, the keys are right here with me and my husband over here. But there wouldn't be any problem with that. As it can be posted to you, after all necessary agreement has be reached and signed into lease. If you are satisfied with the lease agreement. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really an issue here , but your absolute maintenance of the apartment, because it is good to keep the property in good condition, just for the memories of my father. Who committed so much putting those facilities in place, so i wouldn't want an violation of my property if finally rented by you.

Address: 133 Wynford Drive, Toronto M3C 0J5 ON. The rent is only inclusive of the building management fee. As for the utility bills, they are included on the rent, and also no outstanding bills. So you be paying the bills and starting the lease with a clean slate. The minimum lease term is 2 months, and a maximum of 2 years with a possibility of extension.

Kind Regards,
Melanie Taylor.

After a few exchanges of email I became a little uneasy that this is too good to be true. I filled out an application form, which I regret now, and wish I did this search before. The good thing is I haven't transfered any deposit or funds to them, so thank you for posting this thread online.

The person just texted me this morning from this # 720-583-4219 and acted as their spouse, and asked me to check my email in which I received this email:

This is Melanie husband writing, good morning and hope you had a lovely night rest. My wife asked me to do her a favor of thanking you for the filled rental form due to her very early morning rush to work, we are both writing with joy in our heart just to let you know we had both gone through your filled application form last night as we are glad you could comply with the application process and we are well satisfied with what we've seen. We think we both are now on track in reaching an agreement and like she previously said, with passing the entrance key card to you. We would be needing your current mailing address, where the hard copy of the tenancy document, letter of occupancy and keys will be delivered to you in person. As i in particular would be going about the shipping as promised, once we reach an agreement and upon receiving your signed part of soft copy of the lease agreement from you.

As for the first rental payment. You will be paying a one month refundable deposit. I would also like to know how you intend sending the monthly rent for each month. And please she stated i should remind you that this agreement has to be entered in good faith. As much as she both want this to bring a good experience and relationship between you guys. And also with keeping her unit in good state and also paying your rent on time. At this point, i look forward to your response. so i could send over the lease soft copy for your review. And also bear in mind that you and my wife would be exchanging passport ID as prove of identity...

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Regards,
Steve..

The email they were using to contact me was [email protected]