Room for Rent and other rental scams
#277601 by Londonscam Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:30 pm
apartment_london2@ outlook.com. A one bedroom nice apartment, but not that different in price from all the other craigslist listings.

Mediary is Rube Ahmed, tel: Rube Ahmed. +447839756812 Email:[email protected]

They required to mail information and passport photo and address to: London Perfect Apartment 234 Battersea Park Road Wandsworth SW114ND. London UK. Tel: 0447087644086 for Flat l7, Bernard Street WC1N1LB London. Property Owner: Marie Davidson.

The first electronic transfer my son made from his London bank to their bank account didn’t go through because, he discovered, it was a defunct account. The second went thru, Rube sent me a letter of confirmation, but a day later wrote back that he actually received in his account 412 pounds instead of the 492 pounds we sent (Yes, I desperately needed this apartment!). Most likely from bank charges. My son’s band does not involve charges.

As the requirement was to pay only 40% of the fee before arrival and the rest of the 60% after, and because I paid in full in order to get a discount, Rube would not consider my amount paid because I had promised the full payment.
He then threatened to put it back on the market and return the money. Which of course I accepted. But of course he wouldn’t give me the money until he rented the apartment, and of course he hasn’t rented it yet, even though he has others already rented for Christmas.

I desperately need an apartment for a week and am not 100% sure this is a scam. Rube did answer the telephone and someone did say it was London Perfect Apartment, though the connection was difficult and he said he was driving and to phone him back. Rube has been rather hysterical throughout getting the information and the money, constantly threatening to open it up to rental the next day if he doesn’t receive the money.

This certainly smells like a scam, but has an ounce of reality in it.
Any advice how to handle this with him is most welcome.
I reserved the apartment from Dec l4th to Dec 21st.

Thank you,

I am attaching the correspondence I received and sent for this apartment.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
Advertisement

#277603 by Mike Wilson Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:44 pm
Hello Londonscam and welcome to Scamwarners,

I am sorry to say, this is a classic rental scam. All telephone numbers in the UK that begin with 4470 are personal redirect telephone numbers that can receive and forward calls anywhere in the world. These telephone numbers are commonly used by scammers trying to appear to be located in the UK.
Try contacting your bank and see if their is any chance of getting the money back.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#277673 by vonpaso xlura Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:37 am
If you posted your real name and address here, please delete them.

Could you post the email from the scammer? Others may be looking for phrases in it.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#277684 by HillBilly Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:02 am
Londonscam, I hope you can recover your funds, but likely they are gone.

Please read this to help prevent future scams like this : http://419advancefeefraud.blogspot.com/ ... s-are.html

Also, please report it to ActionFraud, in the UK. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Drop contact with the scammer as if you have fallen off of the face of the earth. Do not tell him he is listed here, what your plans are about reporting him, or anything.

FYI don't ever put up money until after you have signed a lease, and seen the place in person. a credit card might be an exception to that rule as you can dispute the charge often for a month or so after the goods were to be delivered.

#294106 by Mojo Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 am
I am SO grateful for this thread - I nearly fell into the same trap with this guy when looking at place on Craigslist. I had the common sense to check the office address her gave on google maps (there's another company registered to this address - Douglas Gordon) and when I asked them if they had a website address, they told me the site was being updated, which set alarm bells ringing. They call themselves Perfect London Rentals - and there's another legitimate letting agency called London Perfect. They used same contact number as they gave you (which was 'out of service' when I called it) but different email address to the one they gave you - [email protected]

What's the best way to report these people when they advertise on Craigslist?? I want to make sure they don't get away with stealing money from anyone else. I hope you got your money back?