Room for Rent and other rental scams
#279904 by raveendra.vn Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:32 am
I am a victim of the scam and below are the few responses for my post in Sulekha. They are capturing the helping nature of Indians. I lost $1450 :cry:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<removed to protect privacy> Mike W,

Thanks for the email, it is a pleasure making your acquaintance. Browsed through the details of your property and I want it. I arrive with my wife and our children, two girls and two boys. I work with the UNDP (Admin., Whitehall, London SW1A 2NS). I have been transferred to Charlotte, NC.
Was in Manhattan at the Head Office 2 months ago for a seminar. I applied at the DHS, did the medical check-up, I cleared and my SSN is being processed.
My contract is for 1 year but in all likelihood will be extended beyond that. I prefer paying the lease for the period upfront, if it is preferred otherwise, I am sure we can come to an understanding for monthly payments.
I arrive the states in 2 weeks, with me I will bring my employment and transfer letters. I will really appreciate it if you can take the ad off further showing and hold the place for me till I get there. I would be glad to place a good faith deposit for this purpose.
Please let me know if this arrangement works out for you. I sincerely look forward to hearing from and subsequently meeting you.

Regards,
Abia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi <removed to protect privacy> Mike W,

I just concluded with the travel agent and she informed me that money gram money transfer is the safest and fastest way to send the funds to this country from US/Canada. As soon as the funds is made available to you go to any money gram outlet close to you and send the money to my travel agent. Although the overage is $1625, all i need for my travels is $1425. I don't know if i would be able to get a refund from the travel agent so it would be safe to send just what i need which is $1425. The transfer should cost around $30. I was also told that its important you have the funds sent at an outlet and NOT online cause money gram would normally put a hold on funds sent online until they confirm your Identity.
This is the information you need to have to funds sent to my travel agent.

Name: Alolita Singh
Address: 110 PK5 road
State: Cotonou
Postcode: 00229

Kindly take care of this and send me an e-mail containing the details below needed to pick up the money (you may also scan and send the receipt as email attachment):
1.....The exact amount you sent in XOF franc(local currency here).
2.....The Sender's name as written on the money-gram form.
3.....The 8 digit reference number

As soon as i receive the above information i will forward it to the travel agent and i would be able to tell you my exact flight schedule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

#279909 by Mike Wilson Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:18 pm
Hello,
I am sorry to hear that you lost money to this criminal located in Africa. Please post the email address the scammer is using in this rental scam.
As you have just learned, do not pay any money for a rental until after an in person inspection of the property.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon