Room for Rent and other rental scams
#280990 by Michelle Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:28 am
Van: Airbnb Host [mailto:[email protected]]

Onderwerp: RE: Aanvraag bij Enjoy Ski Holiday in Superb Place

Hi

The price for the entire property is €350/night + €350 security deposit refundable when you check out. Daily cleaning is included with linens and towels..The property is close to ski slopes and restaurants,has jacuzzi and gym and is superb how you can see from pictures were taken by Airbnb photographer.
The booking and the payment will be made through Airbnb after I will pre approve you.
I need the following details to pre-approve your booking with Airbnb and after I will pre-pprove you then you can proceed with the payment on Airbnb

Arrival:
Departure:
Adults:
Children:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Post Code:
Contact Number:
Copy of a pictured ID ( cand be provided on arrival)

Regards,

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send money (again via Western Union) in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary

Advertisement